Mini Skid & Trenchers - Help Please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by pblc, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We're lucky, the border patrol guys that stay in our park bring us gifts daily. :dizzy:

2. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

3. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

haha x2. My guys brought the kanga back in today with a snapped arm on the kanga. I do a lot of my own welding repairs, but this one is going to the welding shop.

4. Yeeesh I. C. that sound you heard was TX contractors dropping at the thought of 6,000.00 for a 7 zone system. I know central TX has some serious rock but I doubt they get anywhere close to that price wise.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Works for me.

6. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

No that sound was the last trailer full of my stuff slamming shut in route to TN. I will have to buy a small bus...errrrr... tin can to haul my swim team* up with me. How is the I.C.E presence in TN? My take a while for my guys to get bootleg I.D.'s.

That's almost a grand a zone... sign me up buttercup.

We have serious rock, that is why every irrigation co worth it's salt has 1-2 30k rock saws. I tried the earth saw attachment, and that lasted about 2 installs before the limestone chewed it up and spit it out.

*Border of Mexico and TX has a river... put one and one together.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

1K/zone .... sounds about right to me.

8. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

I need to clarify that the price was back in 1998. When I got in it around here, most commercial sites did not get irrigation let alone a model home or your average house. Like me, many people move to TN to get away from big city taxes and all the other problems that come with it. These transplants are used to irrigation and started complaining to the builders that they wanted to buy a house with irrigation and the cities began to put urban enviromental agencies in place forcing the rise of irrigation and its popularity. As the popularity grew came a flood of new companies and most do not know how to sell quality so they use the easy way by making it all about price.

We have a good run for about 5 years at $800-$1000 for a 13 gpm zone, but then the landscapers decided that it would be ideal to get into installing irrigation and give it away for cost to get the landscaping portion of the job. So prices quickly went down to as low as $375 a station and around here you just cannot make money at that price and still be a legit company doing things the right way. It is just impossible to operate, pay taxes and just overall do business on the up and up. We have hovered around the $600.00 plus mark this past year, but of course that number is just a generic price for conversation sake.

Many of the guys that were low balling are gone now, so the prices are actually making a come back in this shitty economy and is the one plus out of the last couple years. We have very few "real" irrigators left around here and the few of us left get paid right once they try all the others.

It was really frustrating back in 2006-2007 watching prices going down, meanwhile we were so busy we turned work away due to lack of labor. When 2008 came, all of our loyal builders came to us and said "Thanks, but times are tough and we are getting prices much less than yours". We know our costs since we use Rain Cad and we draw 80% of our installs so we told them that we could not drop the price and they dropped us.

After 12-18 months of pure frustration with the low ballers they started coming back which put us in a good position to get what we are worth. All of you know what it costs to not only run good install crews, but good service techs all having locators, remotes and all the other goodies. A lot of guys can install and do a decent job at it, but it always comes back to high quality service and quick response times.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  9. arbor pro

arbor pro LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

left you a pm. call me if you'd like to chat about minis and/or attachments. I still have my sk650 for sale (buyer's financing fell through) and have reduced the price on it. AP

10. pikewillis1

pikewillis1 LawnSite Member

Call Everett to get a list of used Dingo and attachments that he has.

I know hes got a couple used dingos and a used vibratory plow and trencher attachments