mini skidloader/skidsteer attachments

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by cutntrim, May 17, 2001.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

For those who currently own, or have used either a Ramrod or a Dingo, what were the most usefull attachments for them? We've been in maintenance for a decade now and are moving slowly towards becoming a 50/50 maintenance/landscaping company. We're looking to purchase a Dingo or a Ramrod for landscaping (don't have the trailering, storage, or cash for a full-sized skidsteer right now) and are curious as to the best attachments to consider. We'll be doing small-scale residential jobs with the machine (primarily our maintenace customers to begin with). I'm thinking a narrow bucket (to get through 36" gates), an auger for trees/post holes, and maybe a 4-in-1 bucket for grading/excavating/material handling. What other/additional attachments would you suggest?
  2. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I would start with the basic attachments first, and then go from there.

Start with the standard bucket, and definitely get the tooth bar. Can dig out areas/dig holes/etc. with this. Next, get the 3 in one tool (ripper, tow bar, sling) The ripper is one of the handiest tools going. You can rip out up to 6-8" stumps in now time, safes a lot of labor on those jobs where you would be pick axe'in out old shrubs/trees, etc. Also works great for diging out holes for large trees. The tow bar is handy, but the sling I have yet to use.

Also, get the leveler/carry all. Works great for spreading soil/grading/ carry plants, and all sorts of other stuff. Much like a mini-york rake. Use it the most, besides the bucket myself.

The pallet forks are also nice, but somewhat limited as you can not move many palletized items due to weight. They are handy for move rocks around, which is where I utilize them the most.

As for the 4-1 bucket, I feel a waste of money. Can't really justify the price for what it will do. I'm sure it comes in handy, but due to the size of machine already, you really can't do a whole lot with it.

Those are all the attachments I have, but I do want the auger. If you spring for it, do it. Makes short work out of tree/post work.

As for the rest of the attachments, I am waiting. Price is still too high for a lot of the attachments. I made a plow for it this winter, and it got me thinking I cound probably rig up few more ideas for a fraction of what toro wants to charge us.

Good luck, the machines are great.....just make sure it is really what will work for you. If you can get a bigger machine, and feel you will out grow the mini, then don't waste your time. Buy a used bobcat/skidsteer if you are uncertain of what you really want. For me, the mini is perfect, but I know a lot of guys who would have it sitting in the shop if they bought it because it just isn't a big machine.

Oh ya, a few more things to definitely get....1. the weight kit for the back, as you will need it. 2. solid filled tires----I had 3 flats in the first month, now, none + the weight helps with lifting/stability. 3. TRacks - any kind of mud on a hill, even a slight one, and you are stuck.
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Steveair makes good points. I will add: Don't waste your money on the stump grinder attachment. The auger is definitely worthwhile. Has anyone used the tiller?
  4. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i demoed the Dingo line this week. Impressed!!

Especially the 320D diesel

I was a Ramrod dealer, but could get no company support.....

Now, i'm seriously looking into Dingo.

They make a lot stronger attachments than Ramrod.

The carry/all leveler was much better built.

Trencher was tough as nails.

Tiller worked excellent!! I was prepping new beds on wet grass in clay and it worked like a dream.

Both auger powerheads were stronger and smoother than the Ramrods'.

I will demo the Finn this weekend, it looks to be a nice machine also.
  5. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried a Kanga yet. I have never personally tried one but their north american office is located in my hometown. They have all the attachments you were asking about also.
  6. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

No, haven't tried a Kanga. Actually never heard of them. Maybe they aren't up here? Sent a request for information and pricing to the Ramrod website though. Didn't realize they were built in Canada (Saskatchewan). Parts/service worries me though since I know a lot of local Toro dealers, but no Ramrod dealers.

We are the perfect candidates for a mini though, since we lack the storage, funds, and trailer necessary for a full size skidsteer. Also all of our landscape work so far comes from our maintenance customers, and 90% of those are smaller residential homes. Our area is loaded with LARGE homes on small lots.
  7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello again,

One more thing. I have noticed now that a lot of rental centers are starting to rent out mini-skidsteers with attachments. I have one locally and they just purchased the same dingo I have along with a few attachments. I asked and they are willing to rent the attachments out alone, which will be a nice benefit. Didn't get into prices yet, but it will be much cheaper than purchasing outright for the time being.

Maybe take a look around and see what is going on at the rental centers in your area, that way you can get a feel for what is available.

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: "steveair", hit the nail on the head on many topics. I've rented a dingo with the bucket and forks, and that seemed like the right attac. to have you can always rent the attach, when needed. Doesnt pay to spend 4000 and a backhoe if your gonna use it 5x a year.

Also, i just purchased a Cat 226 skid steer in march, and to be honest by the time your done w/ purchasing attach. you can be at the 12,000-14000 dollar range for the dingo, which is a big nut for a little machine which cannot lift the bed edging into a dump truck, please dont get me wrong i loved the machine when we rented it. But for a few more 1000, you can pick yourself up a new skid. If your not ready for the finacial burden, there are many skid dealers w/ great used mach, for about the same price of a new dingo.tony