Mini track loaders for vib plow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by joshrope, Feb 22, 2008.

1. joshrope

joshrope LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the mini track loades such as the bobcat mt55 with the vibratory plow attachment to pull pipe? If so do they hold a candle to the DW 410 or vermeer?
    Thanks

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i too would like to know.......

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can use the search function to bring up some threads on those, but the short answer is no. You want the best plow? Get a dedicated machine.

4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to disagree with you on this.

I use a DW SK350 with the vib plow attachment. The entire plow assembly is the same as the 255sx. The SK350 pulls quite a bit better due to being heavier and a lesser propensity for spinning out. The track system is also a lot more "turf friendly".

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think you want to use a LM-42 or a 420sx for comparison, before you say a dedicated machine isn't better. How do you like the SK350 on curves and/or bumpy terrain?

6. EO1CB

EO1CB LawnSite Member

I've used the Dingo with the plow attachement which is basically the same as the Bobcat. I found that pulling in heavy soil is difficult. You have to go real slow and the tracks tear up the turf while turning. Forget about tight turns. Its simply cant do it with clay soil.

I've used the DW-410, nice machine, plenty of power, easy on turf. Vermeer is very comparable. However, I believe that the Case Maxi is dollar for dollar, pound for pound the better machine. It has plenty of power, tight turn radius, and ergonimically better for the big jobs when your on the machine all day.

just my 2cents
    enjoy

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

rotor and i will be attempting to pull some 2" PVC next tues or weds w/ a zahn and also our sk650, I'm sure we'll take pics and give a review...

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I'm really looking to hearing about the zahn...very interesting looking machine. An SK does suffer by not being articulated for turning. I don't know whether the zahn will be able to turn a tighter radius in the real world or not; looking at it from a design perspective, I'd think it should be able to.

The SK350 is pretty good on rough terrain. You quickly learn how to lift and lower the blade to compensate for big bumps. It can be a little hairy with your butt hanging out 4' above the ground when you are going over a big bump and the blade hasn't crossed the apex yet.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind a dedicated machine you are walking forward, mini,s you are walking backwards.

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

i love the 255