Mini Z 42

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by scottmd, Sep 7, 2006.

1. scottmd

scottmd LawnSite Member

Does any one out there have the 42"commercial Mini Z. I am thinking about buying one and was woundering if it is a good machine. I'ts between the Scag 42 and Hustler. Scag cost about 1,000 more.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There are many out there in the little time we have been selling them (Spring 06) we have little to no complaints on them and they are priced right.
    Demo one and you will love it.

Pj

3. wbwanzer

wbwanzer LawnSite Member

I got a Mini-Fastrak 42", 17hp about two weeks ago. Here are some observations about the machine:

It's really fun to use. I look forward to mowing now. Of course it's a new toy and all new toys must be played with. Until I get really good at it, I go real slow around solid objects.
    I am able to swat insects, or scratch my face while mowing. If I let go of one of the bars on the Hustler, it just keeps going. The bar that I let go of does not spring back to the neutral position sending me into a spin. It just keeps going. Not sure if all makes of zero turn do that.
    This particular zero turn is loud. It's a single cylinder Kohler. I have no qualms about the Kohler. I think they make good motors. But it's loud. Don't know if it's worth roughly $500 more for the Honda two cylinder. I use ear plugs now.
    I have not mowed any real heavy grass, but so far, it seems like the Fastrak almost mulches the grass before it comes out. Hardly anything comes out of the chute. I certainly am not able to see any cut grass laying in the yard. I hope this continues.
    I have a small hill to cut which I cut across. This model of zero turn feels slightly less stable than my Cub 2185 tractor. The front wheels sometimes slide a little, but it's not a big deal.
    So, overall, I'm very pleased with this new type of mowing and wish I had made the switch to zero turns sooner.
    Hope this helps.

4. FIRE

FIRE LawnSite Member

YES I JUST RECENTLY PURCHASED THE MINI Z 42 WITH 19 HP KAI ENGINE.I
    WAS TOLD THAT SCAG YOU WERE PAYING FOR MUCH OF THE NAME,DON'T
    KNOW IF IT IS TRUE WAS JUST TOLD THAT.ANYWAY HAVE USED THE MINI Z
    FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS AND IS A VERY FAST MACHINE,FOR ITS SIZE.:waving: :) :)

5. wbwanzer

wbwanzer LawnSite Member

Sorry. Just realized that Scottmd is talking about a Mini Z, not the Mini-fastrak that I have.