Mini Z and Kohler 20Hp Motor questions

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Vugger, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Vugger

Vugger LawnSite Member

Hi,
    I am new to the forums and looking for some good advice. I am in the market for a new mower and I am really looking hard at the Hustler line of ZTR's. I am stuck between the Mini Z 52" 20hp Kohler and a Ferris 48" 21HP Kawi. I am leaning toward the Hustler, but I really wanted the Kawi motor instead of the Kohler. There is a HUGE price jump of almost $1500 to go from a 20hp Kohler to a 23hp Kawi. I am wondering if anyone with a mini z in this configuration could tell me if it feels underpowered at all. Does the Kohler motor deliver plenty of power? Is the Kawi motor really that much better? I could use any input from every day users of the mini z.
    Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Well I am not a everyday user, but I will tell you that you will notice a pretty considerable power difference when you jump to the 23hp unit.
    The 19 and 20 are deep discounted spring promo units while the 23 is not.
    The 23/52 Mini Z is going to be $7,649.00 on spring promo if your dealer is participating in the program.

Pj

3. Vugger

Vugger LawnSite Member

What about a 23hp on the 60 standard Z? Does anyone have any issues with the power on that unit?
    Thanks

4. rock creek

rock creek LawnSite Member

Likewise I am not an everyday mower but i mow about 7 acres on my 80 acre tract south of Kansas City and in the Spring and in the Fall I am doing substantial mowing. I purchased a 52 Mini Z in 2003 equipped with a 23 Kaw. I have had absolutely no problems with the motor and think that it is the best setup for a 52" deck. By that, I mean that I would not want a smaller engine. I'm sure the smaller horsepower motors will work but I enjoy the power when I have gotten behind on my mowing and the grass is higher than I would like. If you are an everyday mower I would think that the money spent for a little more power would be worth it. I had never had a Kaw motor before and wondered what it would be like in terms of reliability and durability. I am really impressed with my experience with the motor and would buy one again. If I had more mowing to do I might go up to the EFI motor that Farm Mower has recommended several times on this site but that would be way too much overkill for my situation. My Mini Z will be still running when I can't get in the seat any more.:weightlifter:

Rock Creek

5. Vugger

Vugger LawnSite Member

I am not sure what happened to my other post. Could someone give me some information on the 19hp Kawi motor. I have read that it is the same motor as the 23hp, but just "tuned down a little bit". Is this true? I have also read that the 19hp Kawi motor actually has more torque than the 20hp Kohler. I took a 20hp 52" Mini Z for a test drive today, and I liked it alot. I wanted to test drive the 19hp Kawi Mini Z, but they were out of them. If there is anyone that has driven both, is it as peppy as the 20hp Kohler Mini Z? If the 19hp Kawi is as fast and responsive as the 20hp Kohler, I am going to buy one this week.
    Thanks for the help

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is going to depend on how fast your mowing in the conditions you are in.
    the 23hp Hustler Z was a top seller for us for many years, it is a great price point unit.

Pj

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have also heard the 19 is the same as some larger hp engine, but with a different carburetor, not really sure, it is a question you would have to ask a Kawasaki rep.
    Here is a link to the spec sheet for the Mini Z, it shows the engine options and the specs on the engines.

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/ProductPages/ProductPagesRes/HMZ/HMZpdfs/HMZ&SMZ SPECS.pdf

The 19 Kawasaki has 37 ft lbs of torque at 2400 rpm's
    The 20 Kohler has 36.2 ft lbs of torque at 2600 rpm's
    As to them being peppy, I have driven and mowed with both, I couldn't tell a difference.

Pj