Mini Z cut problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by East Lawn, Jul 7, 2006.

1. East Lawn

East Lawn LawnSite Member

Has anyone had many problems with the quality of cut on the Mini Z. I purchased a Mini and a Hustler Z and the Mini leaves a terrible cut. Any suggestions. It also clogs up very easy.
    Thanks for any input

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What model Mini Z? how old is it?

3. East Lawn

East Lawn LawnSite Member

Bought it new this spring but was last years model. Mini Z 52" deck 19hp Kaw

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Does it have the Fusion blades and wider discharge opening? e-mail me your serial # and I can tell you.

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

In most conditions my mini would never match my Super Z in cut quality. I think the shallow deck contributed to the problem. There are things you can check to make the machine the best it can be like making sure your pitch is right, and the deck is level. Sharp blades are a plus. I liked Ultra highlift blades originally made for Scag I believe. They have huge sails and helped to vacume the grass up into the deck.

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

My Mini-Z leaves a GREAT cut, but does not disperse the clippings as I would like. Mine was bought new in April, but is a 2005 model and assume it has the larger opening.

My buds 52" Super Z slings the clippings VERY well. If the grass is thick or slightly wet at all I must run over and over the clippings and it still usually clumps. But cut quality is just freakin awesome!!!! I do change my blades about every 8-10 hours.