Mini-Z Grass Catchers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BanvilleLawnCare, Nov 23, 2007.

1. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

I just purchased a 36'' Hustler Mini-Z, now it is time to fork out more money for a grass catcher. I do not want to spend over $1000 on a catcher system with a vac so I am looking into getting a side bagger. Cloth, steel, aluminum, I don't care too much I just need to know what people have had good luck with. Brands I have found are Accelerator, Catcher King, Rack'em, Humboldt cloth catcher. I will use it for clippings and leaf cleanups. Suggestions are appreciated.

2. BanvilleLawnCare

Anyone? Is the extra cost for aluminum worth it?

3. Integrity LC

Integrity LC LawnSite Member

I have heard good things about the Accelerator, although I do not have one, i have heard good things, I know that you can get an extenstion for the catcher if needed. BTW, the accelerator is aluminum.

One of the problems I can see, which isn't really a problem is the extra width to the mower, thats about it. If you don't care about that then you should be good to go.

4. BanvilleLawnCare

The Accelerator looks really nice but maybe a little pricey. Has anyone been satisfied with their steel catcher? If so, what type do you use? Also, I looked at the Catcher King sponsor forum and there isn't even one post in there from anyone besides the moderator. Is Catcher King any good?

5. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

Ive used steel and I bit the bullet and got an accelerator for my 66 Exmark. The biggest catcher they make without the extension. Love it. Would never purchase steel, ever. Might go cloth on a smaller mower. With the Accelerator, you pop it on and it works, and its light. Ill be using it for years and was money well spent.

6. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I like my grass gobbler. I use it on my 32" walkbehind and it works great.

7. BanvilleLawnCare

Are steel catchers a lot heavier than the aluminum ones? Are they harder to dump? I would probably buy a standard size catcher 4.15- 4.4 cu. ft. Also, I want to hear from anyone who has used a catcher king grass catcher. I have looked around on this site and google and have seen them but heard of noone who has used one.

8. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my accelerator. Lightweight, rust-proof, and well engineered. Packs full ~95% of the time (taking off 6" of wet grass is another story). Never used anything else, but I'd definintly recommend an accelerator.

9. BanvilleLawnCare

It sounds like people have nothing but positive to say about the accelerator. I am probably leaning towards the accelerator but I would love to hear some more opinions.

10. BanvilleLawnCare

Hustler makes a 2-bin rear bagger without the blower but it was still about $500 and it seems to me that it would clog in anything but the driest grass