1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mini Z or Super Mini Z - 52"

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by CutApproved, Jun 12, 2006.

1. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a couple of questions about these mowers

1) Will the smaller depth of the deck allow you to cut a very over grown lawn WITHOUT bogging down? I'm considering the 52" w/25hp Kaw.

I run into situations where the customer wants me to cut every two weeks but sometimes the week I need to cut it rains and I can't get out until the following week (3 week time frame between cuts), I'm in NJ and at this time of year the lawns can get pretty thick.

So will it cut it ok say at 3.5 inches and probally have to double cut BUT, Will it leave a nice cut?
    AND will the machine bog down due to the depth of the deck?

I can't justify getting the Super Z or the Z,, 60" is way too big for me.
    A 48" or 52" deck is just perfect in all my situations.

Let me know because I'm very concerned that the shallower deck will not be able to handle it..

I'd really like to hear from people who own a 52" deck (Mini or super mini)

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is really going to depend on the conditions and length of the grass, as in how wet and ho much you are taking off in a single pass.
    I would and have cut tall dry stuff in a single pass and not had any problems, now this is in Upstate NY.

3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

i have a new 19/52 mini-z...i cut through 5 inch semi-wet grass at full speed and didnt leave stringers....but im in virginia....i absolutly love hustler, and their products....let me know if you have any questions
  4. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 19 52 mini z and when grass was that tall i had to double cut. There is no way you can go full speed and cut grass this tall with this mower. Definately go with the 25 horse mower to save you from double cutting. I upgraded to the super z only after 3 months of having the mini z simply because i got tired of double cutting my lawns.
  5. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

superz 52/25kaw power out the butt will plug up a little with wet or tall grass
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

My Super Z's will deal will long tall or damp grass better then the smaller decked mini's. You can get a Super Z in a 52" deck. At least you used to be able to. Maybe a 52" Standard Z is still available, which would likely be priced under a Super Mini, and give greater cutting performance. You would only sacrifice "possible" speed, and suspension seat.
  7. leading edge lawn service

leading edge lawn service LawnSite Member

I have the 23/52 mini Z I cut mostly floritam sod and some people just do not understand that it has to be cut every week here in florida. But it is not a problem for the mini Z. I have the mulch kit on mine with Fusion blades it does a great job. I do not have to double cut very often, If I do it is just for the look.
  8. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Shady Brook - I seriously looked at the Z & Super Z,,, BUT everyone kept telling me that I would loose the trimming capability on the left side of the deck.
    I looked at a 52" SuperZ and the deck only stuck out about an inch or so. BUT then again, when there are time you have 6" or 7" tall grass and your cutting at 3.5". HOw does the mini handle this? If I had to double cut it really would bother me too much but personally I can't for the life of me understand why Hustler could make the mini with a deeper deck.. In my opinion they screwed up on this deck.. Theres no need for it to be that shallow.
    Just my 2cents
  9. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

well it does it for me:hammerhead:
  10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Deeper decks are not always better, we proved this in our XR-7 design and also the 36 / 42 Mini Z testing, we originally had a deeper deck on it, and through our testing found that a slightly shallower deck was better in that application.