Mini Z pricing

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by grass lover, May 31, 2003.

1. grass lover

grass lover LawnSite Member

I was quoted $6200 for a 52" 23hp Kawasaki Mini Z at my local dealer. Is this about what you guys are seeing as well? I know MSRP is considerably higher, but what are they REALLY selling for?
    Sold me POS dixon and moving up to a quality machine.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That unit lists for $7795.00. I would say your getting a very good price there.

3. grass lover

Come on guys. What are your seeing at your local dealers. I only have 3 dealers within 30 miles and they are all owned/operated by the same company. Thanks,
  4. grass lover

It's been raining in half of the country this week and I know someone visited their local Hustler dealer. What are you seeing? I plan to make my purchase next week and need confirmation on pricing. I did get a second dealer to meet $6200 price, but would have to drive an hour for service. If this is a good price I'll snatch one up next week.

5. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I got my super mini Z for 6994 + tax. 24hp honda and a 52 inch deck. It was a demo unit. since no one was replying i thought i would. Ask if the dealer has a demo unit you can get for cheaper. They have the same warranty as a new one.
  6. grass lover

Thanks for the reply. How many hours do you have on that Honda and how happy are you with it? I have read general grumblings about the larger honda engines, but no specifics from anyone. How is cut quality and are you using the factory mulching kit or stock blades? Sorry to blast you with so many Q's, but haven't had the chance to ask anyone with the saem model.
  7. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Grass lover, I will be buying a Hustler ZTR probably this week since my old Sears rider mower had broken pulleys while mowing at a clients house Saturday. Luckly she had an old Sears rider I used to finish mowing the last acre of grass.

Here in Kansas City area I called two dealers that have Hustler mowers. One dealer has been around a long time and they will sell me a Mini Z 52" - 23 HP Kawasaki for $6236.

Another brand new dealer of Hustler mowers (just this week he will get Hustler mowers) will sell me the same mower for the exact same price. I didn't mention the price to the new dealer I was quoted to the first dealer.

So it sounds like that may be the best deal you will find. Go for it.
  8. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

I know its not that many but i have had no problems with it yet. Plenty of power. Cut quality is great. When i got it the tire pressure was at like 22 and i had to lower it to the recomended psi and it rode a lot smoother and didnt tear the turf any more. Its amazing how small yards become with a mower like this. Before 1 acre lots and under would take me an hour to do everyting with my exmark walkbehind(great mower). but now i can do 2+ in just over an hour. I am starting to bid on larger lawns and i love it. On good grass and flat terrain you can mow at full speed but you will run out of grass pretty soon. Even on bad grass and bumpy terrain you can go pretty quick, And the cut is still emaculate. I have one yard that looks like the front yard is made out of indoor/outdoor carpet(sweet). Any way i love the mower and no problems except the front caster bushing went out but the dealer fixed it in like 2 days. It was a faulty bearing from the factory and was out of round. Other than that it has been great. I use mostly gator blades. No doubles. The copious amounts of sand make highlift and doubles too dusty to use in the dry conditions, it has started raining so its not that bad. Gator blades will work great (but you already knew that).

9. syncom2

syncom2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Grass Lover…
    Sorry for the delay here pal, but maybe I too can shed a little bit of light on some of your posted concerns.
    I purchased a Super Mini Z (Honda powered, 24 HP… 52”) this past February. It was a demo unit that had 17 hours or so on the ticker clock. Not having my purchase paperwork before me at the moment, I know I paid just under $6000 for the unit. Tax, title… all that sorta ‘stuff’ made the out-the-door price tally-up being just shy of $6300.
    As for your Honda engine concern(s), I too worked my mind thru that cloudy area last fall and into the winter months. In my “opinionated” search of what really is wrong with the larger sized engines, NO one on LawnSite could really come out and say what’s all that terribly wrong with them. From what I had been reading of the engine(s), I was thinking that the experienced guys… you know, the guys that are “in the everyday know” would be telling me horror after horror story of what they personally endured with their ailing Honda engines. Most replies, in my ‘nailing down' effort seemed to be more of the, “Well, I heard thru a friend’s friend…of a friend, THAT…!” What I did hear with some repetitiveness to my personal concern was that the engine parts are hard to get… that they’re expensive as all get out… that is, if you can get the parts. When I questioned the dealers (three of four) said that they (Honda’s) were a good solid engine… that they had virtually NO problems with ‘em whatsoever in the professional and homeowner field. Only one dealer that I spoke with did say that they (Honda’s) were on the low torque side… thinking maybe I’d be better off, more happy with a Kawasaki ‘cos of that additional torque value. As well... the dealers I spoke with about the parts issue said they don't have a problem getting parts! Not needing them, yet... I have no experience with that issue of availabilty and price! But anyway… being the demo deal opened up for me, that engine question you’re referring to… that I didn’t have to deal with too much ‘cos that decision was out of my hands… that is, if I wanted to save myself nearly $800 over the cost of a brand new Super Z unit.
    Thus far into the season I have no real major complaints with the Super Mini Z. It is soooo smooth and QUICK! Sorta like riding a "toy" in an amusement park!
    I will say that I have/had noticed that there was a very slight (and I do mean SLIGHT, ‘cos I will admit that I AM a perfectionists [by default]…) area of raggedness... of grass being left in what I am thinking is/was at the spindle area of the mowing deck. Just this past week I put on a new set of gators. With only one mowing with ‘em thus far, I am more inclined to believe that maybe the problem area I was seeing was ‘cos the set of blades that I took off were really not all that razor-sharp. In other words, after mowing with the new gators I didn’t actually get down on my belly… scan across the lawn and see what for job I had done. All I know is that it looked pretty darn good from the driver’s seat! But anyway… I took them (original stock set of blades) to a so-called professional dude to have them sharpened and balanced. Only time will tell me if the blade sharpness issue was the real culprit of the problem I was noticing.
    Outside of me still doing some minor “scorching” of the grass when I make an incorrect 360 deg zero turn, I’m as pleased a plump peach about my purchase decision!!
    Hope all of this verbal-ish wash was of some minor help for you!
  10. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

what is your tire pressure at. It needs to be at 8-10 psi. Wheni got my demo unit it was at 20.