Mini Z Starting troubles

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by netbravo, Jun 28, 2013.

1. netbravo

netbravo LawnSite Member

I have a mini Z that we have had for some time. Its has never failed in the past. Yesterday after starting the mower and running for under an hour I could not restart it after the break. This morning it started quickly first turn of the key. 1 hour later shut it off to clean a fence line.... will not start.

Any ideas?

Mower was serviced end to end 4 weeks ago.

Model # 927236 Ser# 06072120

2. hustlermidwest

hustlermidwest LawnSite Senior Member

Wont start because the engine doesn't turn over, or just wont start. If it's not turning over I would check the charging system. Your battery would self charge overnight allowing you to start it this morning.

Brian O

3. netbravo

netbravo LawnSite Member

Turns over fine. Just will not fire. After it sits a while ... couple of hours it starts like new again.

4. hustlermidwest

I would check spark and fuel. sometimes heat will give you a weak spark. let's hear from the field...

Brian O

5. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

The OP didn't say what engine he has.

I just had to put a fuel pump on my Honda GXV530, for the same symptoms.

6. netbravo

netbravo LawnSite Member

Kawasaki 19 engine. Strange thing.... let it sit 1-2 hours and it runs like a new one. If it was fuel filter or pump I don't think I would mow uninterrupted for hours at a time. Just been leaving it idle when getting off to clean up a fence line or other chore.

Could be plugs but just had new installed 4 weeks ago

7. hustlermidwest

Vapor lock? How hot is it?
    I would try a little carb cleaner down the throat of the carb. That should help with answering fuel or spark.

Brian O

8. netbravo

netbravo LawnSite Member

96 deg out. I'm going to try the carb cleaner. Can't hurt.

9. mark12

mark12 LawnSite Member
    from Ar

I've got a mini z 19/44. Been doing this for 3 or 4 years. Currently 760 hours on the machine. Same problem. Starts great in the morning. But once I'm on the second yard it won't seem to fire. I'm going to put new plugs in it and see if that helps. It's frustrating!

10. Dorian Gilbert

Dorian Gilbert LawnSite Member

On a previous tractor those symptoms indicated electronic ignition modular was not sending power to plugs when hot. Check for spark.