Mini Z suspension seat upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by clif, Apr 4, 2008.

1. clif

clif LawnSite Member

I have a 52" Mini Z 19hp Kawasaki and I wish this came with a suspension seat or at least flex forks. The bumps are killing my back at top speed, and worse, I get bumped off the seat a little, which begins to stop the engine (i.e. stop the blades and slow my cutting down). I know Hustler sells flex forks (about $250) and a full suspension seat (about $500) and also a suspension seat kit (about $250), all of which are very expensive. My Hustler dealer tells me don't buy the flex forks because everyone that gets them comes back in 6 months saying they are worn out and too bouncy, causing lawn scalps and whatnot.
    So, my only real option is a suspension type seat. I see a full suspension seat (Michigan Highback Model# V-5300 for $319) on Northerntool.com and wanted to know if this would fit my new 52" Mini Z? It even looks just like the oem seat, only darker in color. Any suggestions?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Flex Forks are your solution, I don't know why your dealer is telling you otherwise, they do not wear out.
    I would go with Flex Forks before I went and spent money on a seat, but thats just me.
    As far as the seat goes, we do offer a suspension seat std on the Super Mini Z, it bolts right into the same exact seat platform that is on your mower.
    I am not familiar with the Northern Tool seats to know that it will or wont fit.

Pj

3. clif

clif LawnSite Member

What type of warranty do the flex forks have? In case they "do" wear out? I can't imagine why the dealer would turn down my business on that otherwise... what makes the bigger difference in ride comfort, flex forks, or suspension seat?

4. ed2150

ed2150 LawnSite Member

The Michigan 5300 is the seat Hustler uses on their mowers; it'll bolt right up to your Mini-Z.

Just be aware that because of the suspension mechanism it will cause you to sit a little higher on the mower, the higher center-of-gravity may affect the way it handles on slopes.

I put one on my Mini-Z and I'm quite pleased with it.

5. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

I have both on my ride (I have a 19/52 also) and I really like the ride. I would suggest you have both it really helped to feel like a smoother ride. I have been mowing with mine for almost 4-5 months. I just mow my property but I have not seen a change in the flex forks what-so-ever. Good luck.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Flex Forks fall under our accessory warranty, which is 1 year or 1200 hours which ever comes first.
    I feel the Flex Forks make a bigger difference.

7. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

We sell alot of flex forks, Havent had one person come back in unhappy with them. Even with 1000-2000 hours they are still pleased.

8. AUWarEagle

AUWarEagle LawnSite Member

I have a question about the flex forks....If they move toward the deck when you hit a bump..( ie flex) doesn't that make the deck go lower to the ground when they flex and cause scalp marks?? VS when you hit a bump with the regular forks there is no give therefore the deck would stay at the same hight not causing a scalp mark?? I to am interested about the forks but this isssue puzzles me??

9. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Its not an issue, Even when they get some hours on them unless u want to do a verry obrupt stop going 15mph on the super Z, Even still its not that noticeable. I havnet had any commercial cutters complain about them. And get alot of complements.

10. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to steal a thread, but does anyone know if the flex seat, which must be a new set of $300 hinges for the back, fit the 5300 seat?