Mini Z with bagger (UNHAPPY)

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JTHutch, Aug 25, 2006.

1. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I Bought the Hustler Mini Z this April. I got the bagger attachment and I can say I'm not impressed. The first lawn I used it on both bags fell off. This lawn is one of my smoothest lawns I mow. When they fell off I will admit they were pretty full but not all the way full. Falling off bent the wire frame the rests on the bagging unit. Anyway, I spent 10-15 min. each day re bending these frames. Then last month a fan blade on the blower assemble broke off. Which didn't surprise me being made of plastic and all. Then the product which was under warranty was backorder so I was stuck having to side discharge all my lawns. I did learn and kind of suspected that hustler doesn't make this particular bagger. I like the mower for the most part although I did have to replace the clutch already (also Under warranty). My question is if hustler has good quality equipment, and they do, Why would they use such under performing add on attachments such as these extremely over priced P.O.S. That I'm using now.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Is this a Humboldt catcher?

3. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I don't know there is no name on it. It just came in a Hustler box but my dealer told me that was not made by hustler. I was also wandering if my Mini Z could handle a bac vac It's only got a 19 hp Kaw. My dealer has just started selling Hustler so they don't have a lot of experience with what they can do. I just know I had a Dixon before and the bagger on it was much more rugged (metal) and had a bigger blower and shoot. Do you have any idea if Hustler has access to or makes a little larger blower for this model?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If it came in a Hustler box then it is our catcher.
    19hp is marginal with the Bac-Vac style catcher, it is possible though, you just need to slow down and let the engine stay up to speed while working it hard.
    E-mail me your details and I will have someone in customer service address your issues with your catcher.

Pj

5. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Fyi...Fastrak 20/52 with Humboldt Bagging System. My Humboldt Bagging System shipped direct from Humboldt. There are no plastic parts or wire frame other than the clear rubber/plastic tubing from blower to bagger. Humboldt system is well constructed. I've had both bags filled to capacity with wet grass and there is no sign of any metal flexing from the bagging system.

Terry

6. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

When did you get your humbolt? Because mine is a humbolt I found out and it is all plastic. With a very thin and bendable metal frame. They have been changing design because I'm on my 2nd blower in 4 months. Broke a fan blade of 1st one. And the new one has different fan blades than the last one. Any way They are NOT quality made and you may have an earlier model. I have broken the little posts off that hold the bagger to the frame 3 times now. They do not break at the welds but the post itself.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

JTHutch,
    Can you post a picture of your unit? it sure doesn't sound like you have a Humboldt......

8. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

If you paid around $799 for you bagger, it is made for Hustler by CEE, Inc.

There have been many improvements to this, but the Humboldt built bagger and Hustler BAC VAC are built much better.

If you don't know which bagger you have, consult your dealer.

If he doesnt know, have him contact his Hustler Territory Manager.

They should be able to help you in a timely manner.

9. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

my computer crashed and I haven't had time to down load pics. My Dealer says it's a humbolt. I kind of think this is pretty funny because the Hustler factory is in Heston Ks only about 45min away from here but all the warrenty parts i.e. the new blower unit they sent me was backordered. And took about a 2 weeks to get to me. Any way I will try and get those pics as soon as I can. In the mean time I have fixed the main problems myself with a little welding. I still think there needs to be some improvments by the manufacturer who ever that may be. I would be happy to help the engineers that designed it:laugh:

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If it is a Humboldt catcher the parts are coming from them, not Hustler, we do not have anything to do with Humboldt.
    If your dealer is getting parts through us, it is our catcher, not a Humboldt.

Pj