Minim Charge for Final Grading Small Lots

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim Wright, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question for you who final grade, specifically for new houses.

Do you have a minimum charge if the lot is smaller than 1/4 an acre?

Also, when you calculate for the lot size to be graded, do you NOT count the size of the house? In other words if the lot is 1/4 acre, does the job become less than that because the house is taking up space on the lot?

Thanks,

Tim

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the more house is on the lot, the more hand work you will have to do....
    the areas get smaller and tighter to work in.

figure how long it will take, include transport time there, and equipment unload and setup... and us your rate to come to a cost.

3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

What type of equipment & trucks are you talking about using?

4. Tim Wright

I have a New Holland TC35DA with a harley rake that I am using. I pull it with an old GMC3500 1ton dump back.

The reason I asked the initial question is because I have set my rates as 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 1 acre, etc., and I had a contractor tell me that a 1/4 acre lot was smaller because the house was taking up x # of square feet.

Well if I go less than 1/4 acre in price, then what is the sense of hauling my e

5. Tim Wright

I have a New Holland TC35DA with a harley rake that I am using. I pull it with an old GMC3500 1ton dump back.

The reason I asked the initial question is because I have set my rates as 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 1 acre, etc., and I had a contractor tell me that a 1/4 acre lot was smaller because the house was taking up x # of square feet.

Well if I go less than 1/4 acre in price, then what is the sense of hauling my equipment to the site for less?

I was just wondering what you-all do.

Tim

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most new yards in my area are 12-15k sq'. If the rough grade is good where i can get by just adding 4" of top soil i charge 1,500.00 to grade top soil, with bobcat. I rake with landscape rake and hand tie edges for this price. Of course add the top soil price then 6.5 cents per sq.' to hydroseed. Yes when it gets smaller than 12k it takes just as long due to small elements like not enough room to get tandems in dumping top soil in various places. Then you spend more time moving the dirt where you need it. A larger yard you can get an ideal thing like having the dirt dumped in several areas making grading much faster.
    Mike

7. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

I would charge 575 to finish grade a 1/4 lot and thats plus or minus and inch and no veg. i wont even show up with my dingo and harly for less than 275 and thats just for a quick little project like and hour or less

8. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Always charge time and materials for equipment work.