Minimalist or Boy Scout?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenUtah, Jun 10, 2005.

1. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Are you the kind of company that only takes the tools in need for today, in the smallest package, sometimes even mowers without trailers, OR are you the be prepared, take everything I've got everywhere I go, ready to do any job kind of guys....and explain why.
  2. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Try to take everything just b/c I never know what might come up. Gotta be prepared.
  3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm strictly Mow&Go anyway. Even If I were full service, no way I'd try to cart a whole shop full of gear everywhere I go.. If I was, I'd just schedule certain tasks for certain days.. And run a seperate crew to do those things ( Like bed maint. and Bush work).

Carrying 900lbs. of tools and crap around I believe just gets you into the "I'm outta space, so I need a bigger Trailer/Truck" syndrome.. Which has been known to lead to high overhead ( big truck/trailer payments ) and horrendous fuel bills..
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to be prepared. We try to be more full service, so in addition to my standard maintenance tools, I keep a ladder, pruning tools, chain saw, fertilizer, seed, etc. I will try to get the add ons done while we are there. I scaled back on my maintenance work this year, my routes are tighter, and my fuel bills are actually lower.
  5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I am the Boy Scout - be prepared

I have had more than one person come up for a "One Time" cut or a quick landscape task (dig up plant, move a bush etc...). I charge top dollar for this service for obvious reasons.

No tools = no job
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

always take the chainsaw and hedge trimmers. never know when you will need them. Otherwise I take what I need and a back up line trimmer as well as some common spare parts.
  7. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

I don't even load a hedge trimmer unless I know I will need it that day. I leave a rather small paw print on the land! :D

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Take everything & expect anything! LOL. LOL ......! B PREPARED!
  9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I'm from the same school as txlawnking. I liek to keep expensive equipment on the move and maximize the daily work that mow crews could do. I ran seperate gardening crews in a small truck with dual 25 gallon electric sprayers for r-up and fert/insect along with hedgetrimmers, small tiller and misc. hand tools. If a client wanted extras done, the mow crews would note it, the office would schedule it and the gardeners would do the labor intensive work. Didn't miss sales this way and mow crews were producing about half again what the majority of grounds management co's in my areas were getting from theirs. Less equipment, more dollars down and still offereing full service. Of course this only works when you have multiple crews and full work loads. Not the case for everyone, I know.