Minimize Bees

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Shegan, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Shegan

Shegan LawnSite Member
    from NY

Does anybody have any suggestions about how to minimize the bees in ones yard?

Thank you for your thoughts.

2. Microbe

Microbe LawnSite Member

Keep on spraying....... lol...... just had to say it.... peace

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

you mean like honey bees? As far as I know, honey bees are sort of an endangered species and it's not legal to specifically go after them and kill them.

If they are swarming or nesting on the property ten I'd encourage the owner to call a local bee keeper and see if he'd be willing to flush them out. Also, he could check and make sure they aren't the killer bees that are infilitrating through the US.

Hey, what's all the crap on your sig. line???? looks like a spammer to me...

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Find the nest and kill it.

5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I guess I have to ask why you're looking to eliminate bees? If it's a swarming or hive issue, I'd agree with Jason that it would be better to move them if possible. If we're talking abotu hornets and yellow jackets or other overly agressive species, then there are many insecticides that will knock them out. Otherwise, they're a necessity if you want to keep a healthy growing environment, which should be your ultimate goal.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

eliminate plantings that attract them. I have noticed certain shrubs and trees attract way more bees than others. If you see tons of bees around say the lilacs, then remove the lilacs.

7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I think about bees and hornets is when they bite me. Ok, I know bees sting not bite. WHO CARES? If you are using shampoo and soap (including laundry soap) that makes you smell like a flower, STOP DOING THAT! They do make these products without the semll. Also, put a little bug repellant (OFF) on the brim of your hat. However if you stir up a hornets nest, expect to get bit in the ass.

8. bugthug

bugthug LawnSite Member
    from PA

Identifty the type then treat accordingly.