Minimizing Pump Noise

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Ben Bowen, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ben Bowen

Ben Bowen LawnSite Bronze Member
    from PNW

I recently completed a renovation of a small water feature. I installed a small skimmer and WGP-95. The old pump had been in a vault that sat about 24" deeper than the new pump does. As soon as I started the pump I realized that the new setup produces just a little bit of pump noise, just a small vibration. Is there a way to reduce this? Any tricks you have used before?

I don't think it will be an issue for the client- but it bothers me...
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I am afraid to ask because I think that I know the answer but, who is the manufacturer of the WGP-95?

3. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

Did you use pvc pipe or a flexible tubing? I felx tubing will help reduce the vibration.

4. Ben Bowen

from PNW

It's a Little Giant. The existing plumbing is rigid PVC- I would normally do flex. If I get a call back on it I might switch out, at least from the union down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, that's what I thought. At one time one of the best brand pumps on the market.....AT ONE TIME.

6. raggs

raggs LawnSite Member

The idea on the pump was nice a dual discharge however it is a piece of junk that always cloggs up. If I remember it has only 9 tiny intake holes and that's it. The only little giants I use are their statuary pumps which are nice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ben Bowen

from PNW

I have not had clogging problems. I always install them in a skimmer or with other protection. I have had an alarming number of them fail quickly. However, there are very few continuous duty pumps available in town and sometimes a client doesn't want to wait for me to order something else.
    Posted via Mobile Device