Minimum Charge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by millenium_123, Mar 26, 2008.

1. millenium_123

millenium_123 LawnSite Member

Just wondering what you guys think about this. I have a $25 minumum charge, which means I won't mow, or even show up for less than that. Does anyone else do this? But then what do I do about the teeny tiny yards that take 10 mins?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i think minimum charges are a waste of time, unless you are very well established and can afford to turn jobs down. until you reach that level, the minimum is out the window. as for the little jobs, price them to make money. thats the best way.

3. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Last year my lowest was $20 for teeny tiny and this year I have uped this to $22.My base price for average size residential yards in my area is $25.And larger lot size is usualy $30.But unless someone is an absolute cheapskate I hate to pass up work.

4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a $25 dollar minimum,and was just thinking about going up to thirty.

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I think everyone needs a minimum. What lawnwizards says is true, however. You need to price jobs to make money. But, you have to start some where. I look at the minimum as a "showing up to the job fee". It covers....well showing up. For me to get out of bed and crank my f-250 up and drive it to your house cost me money. You have to pay for that in addition to the time it takes me to service your property. The minimum covers my travel time and includes a very small amount of work. The fees go up from there. My opinion is, established or not, you have to get a certain amount for your trouble of showing up on the job. That amount will vary by area, but $20 is not enough, regardless of the area of the country you are in.
    Again, the one exception being if you offer a neighborhood discount for having several lawns together without moving your truck. This saves you time and money, and you can charge a little less per per as an incentive for the neighbors.

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

all depends on how much work you have in a area . if i have say 10 yards pretty close to each other i can justify lower rates . but like it has already been said , if you are very well est. then you can do what ever you want and pass up work just because you have a min. i look at what i have around there and go from their..

7. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Yeah rates are different depending on where you are at.You may want to increase to $27 or $28 to try and beat anybody else thinking of the same increase in your area.

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

$35.00 here but I will make exceptions for $30.00.

9. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

20 here in my area. except for an area i have 18 duplexes in one unload spend 1.5 hrs there so i only charge them 18.00 per service.

10. Danielslawnservice

Danielslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i have a yard that i have to do that's just a 10'x 10' slot that i charge like $10 but the spots next to it are HUGE were i charge $30 and up....