Minimum Poll

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Willis, Aug 11, 2003.

?

Minimum mow, trim, edg?

1. $20-$25

24 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. $25-$30

26 vote(s)
    34.2%
  3. $30-$35

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. $35-$40

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Minimum mow, trim, edge, blow and go?

2. Actually, I have a lawn that's about 20'x30' that is next to another lawn and it takes me no more than 7 minutes total. I charge her $15. If it's a lawn all by itself, my lowest price is $30.

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

go any lower that 35-40 your will be going out of the Biss.

4. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I mow for no less than 30 dollars, anything less the next guy can do it. If i can't make any money why are we doing this.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Problem is....What if that "other lawn" isn't there! They move, die, whatever. Now your stuck with a $15 lawn!

Almost always, price as if its a standalone property. Let the ease of proximity be YOUR advantage. Don't pass it on to the customer.

6. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

My lowest is a $15.00 account that takes about 10-15 min. This is a strip in front of a business. I also do the owner's house, his daughter's and his sister's. Generally, I don't go under $25.00.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I used to have a $15 lawn. It took me 6 minutes to do and was one of my customers' businesses, so I thought by giving them a good price I'd scoop up another lawn. What happened is that the lawn hardly grew and a few times i'd drive all the way out there and it wouldn't need to be mowed. Wasn't worth it in the long run

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I really am amazed at some of the broad-brush comments made on these boards. How about taking a deep breath and trying to imagine circumstances other than those in your own little world before making such sweeping pronouncements of "truth".

Someone mowing 3,000 ft lawns in close-by subdivisions making $25 each and taking 15 minutes on each is going to go out of business, eh? I'd love to see your math on that one.

Another example: I do 5 lawns side by side in one subdivision. "only" $30 each. Takes me 105 minutes, average. $150 for 105 minutes. Even tossing in a 5 minute drive to the next neighborhood, that's still good money.

Or alternatively, I could have demanded an arbitrary "minimum" of $35 each and made exactly $0.00 after they went with a lower bidder who would still be making a killing.

I do one lawn at $23 and another at $24. Neither takes me more than 15 minutes. The rest are all over $30. But I'm still in business after 12 years. Must be a fluke.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Where is the $45 button?

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Well done. I agree 100%.

Green Pastures: do you do only commercial mowing? Cuz $45 is a bit steep. Unless you have a lot of accounts and are just raising the ceiling on your biz.....