1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

minimum price for laying mulch?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cl&l c.c. Tx, Mar 27, 2007.

1. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

I know we all have our minimum prices for mow, blow and go. But do you guys set a minimum rate for mulch jobs? If so, what is it? Yeah I also know these rates will vary from one area to the next. I was just looking to get an idea of what everybody else is charging.
  2. edhuffman777

edhuffman777 LawnSite Member

thats a good question, i have a mulch job to do tomorrow, i normally just do the mow, trim, and blow. so when i gave the estimate i was really just basing it on how much i wanted to make an hour. it was a space covering 2 1/2 feet wide and 40 feet long, they supply everything i just come in and do the work, i said $50.00 and they jumped on it quick, so i think i might have gave a great deal and didnt even know it, but i figure it will take me an hour and a half and i usually like to make around $35 an hour. hope this helps you a little.
  3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i charge between $65-$85 a yard installed. price drops for multiple yards of mulch
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

70-80 A Yard ,not Including The Mulch
  5. edhuffman777

well i finished my mulch job today and no wonder the clients took my price so quickly, krayzkajun and tnt, have it more right charge $70 to $80 because i screwed myself by charging $50, damn job turned into about 3 hours instead of 1 hour like i had thought, but it made me realize why i dont do mulching jobs and how much i enjoy mowing, blowing, trimming, and going. live & learn
  6. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Why did it take you 3 hours?
  7. Precision Lawns

Precision Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum for a mulch job is $100. I charge $60-70/yard installed, plus delivery, weeding, edging, etc.
  8. edhuffman777

it ended up being bigger than i had estimated and since i hardly do that type of work i forgot how long it takes to clean it out and the whole thing was bordered by stones which had to be be turned over and also the owner likes to talk alot. lol, what a fun day
  9. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

I went and bid the job yesterday, here's what she wants.

1.I need to pull quite a bit of weeds.

2.Scoop up all the old mulch and tear up the old landscape mat.

3. Install new mat and lay mulch.

My cost for materials is going to be about $145.00. The area is 575 square feet. I bid the job at $675 and she took it.

By the way, while I was giving this estimate the neighbor across the street asked if I could go give him an estimate to mulch his flower beds too. His is gonna cost me about $35 and I bid it at $250 (should take about 2.5 hours). I got that job too!!!
  10. clncut

clncut LawnSite Member

For those that have to weed the beds before mulch, do you figure how long it will take and and that to your estimate or do you tell them to weed it will be xx.xx amount per hour and xx.xx amount for mulch.

Trying to decide on how to figure this. Ive weeded before and just gave a price only to realize it seems to always take longer than expected!