Minimum Price Per Application + Pricing in General

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnlandscape, Nov 12, 2010.

1. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Yes, yes, I know what your thinking. So I will start to say that I'm not new in this business and I'm not looking for handouts :)

I was just curious what some of your minimum prices per application are? The reason I am asking is because I just found out what some of my competition is charging for some of their lawns and was blown away!

My minimum price per application is currently at $34.99 for a 1-3k lawn. At 8k I'm at $44.99. 15k - $62.49 25k - $87.49.

Up until recently I was thinking about increasing my minimum charge, until I saw some prices from other company's. A potential customer showed me a proposal from Spring Green for a 5k lawn size for $33.00 per ap. My current rate for that sized yard is $37.99, which I thought previously was to low. Then, the very next day, another potential customer showed me a proposal from one of my largest local competitor's for $32 per ap for a 7k lawn size! My rate for 7k is currently $42.49!

I am curious what some of your minimum ap rates are, and how you think my overall rates are for a Midwest lawn care company? Are these company's crazy low, or am I just losing my mind! Here I thought I was not making enough. I have no idea how these guys are making anything! :dizzy:

2. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

$42.00 min

3. jasontimm

jasontimm LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

$40 min, but other will tell you, alot depends on your overhead and buying power, for example, i was price checking 3-way today, i recieved prices from 18 all the way up to 30 dollars / gal. for yhe exact same product, so...if you are buying at a high price then you better be charging more.

4. fireman gus

fireman gus LawnSite Senior Member

Our minimum is $30.00. Sometimes I feel bad about that price but considering my overhead that price must be firm.

5. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

You feel bad that it's too high or too low??

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Your prices are not out of line. Other companies are price cutting. If your quality and service is higher than them, you should have no problems.
    I heard a rumor that a big company last year was charging 6 dollars per thousand plus a "stop charge" of $22.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yo

Not trying to be a smart ass, How do you guys make it on such low prices???? My costs are higher than what some of you charge.

8. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have some small lawns <3000m

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have many small properties, mainly 30K-300K+. But when I look at a property....not only do I "size" it, but I also look at the terrain, type of grass, condition of turf, etc. This is something I carried over from 3 decades of mowing.

So, I really don't have a set minimum. However, if I did, it would all be dependent on the ease of job.

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

TLS

I forget your hard pan compared to my sand doesn't need half as much attention. Therefore your cost per thousand isn't half of mine.

I recently had a conversation with an other CPO about bidding a 30 acre complex. There is 750 K of turf to be treated and TG/CL was on the bid list. BTW this is cut into multiply small areas where only pulling hose would work. From past experience we know TG/CL would low ball this job at $ 7.00 per K. Therefore the conversation was about the economics of trying to put together a treatment plan that he could sell for $ 6.95 a thousand.