1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum stop charge.

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, May 11, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

So I usually do charges based on time but recently have been getting a lot of small job calls.

2 of us did two small pine straw jobs. Just spead and clean up. No edging or border work. They took 20 and 30 minutes and were 12 bales each.

How do you handle small under and hour jobs? You have a "stop charge?"
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

No less than 35. Even if it is only to pull a few weeds unless they are within walking distance of a current stop, that's the minimum
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Only do small jobs alone... it is not smart business to have 2 people stopping for less than an hour when you have windshield time X 2 on the clock already...
    You can only charge the client so much for bad business management... one guy can always separate from the other long enough to tie up loose ends,,, or have a whole day doing a bunch of those short stops...

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

12 bales of Pine Straw would typically cost me 8.00 per bale.12 x 8 =96.00
    I would multiply that by 2.5 totaling 240.00. If the total time to install the pine straw is is 30 min or less you still are making money.:)

5. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow. Where are you located? Around here large bales cost 3:75
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Coffeecraver

from VA.

That was just an example

7. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

an example of what???? I think it is more helpful to use realistic prices when making examples.

8. Coffeecraver

from VA.

:)thank you

9. kludgemonkey

kludgemonkey LawnSite Member
    from LA

Pinestraw is 7.15 a bale here. I charge 4 to 7 dollars to install, depending on the amount of weeds.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

What? Why is it any different than taking two people to a mowing job that takes you 15 minutes?