Minimum stop fee for fertilization...? On tiny lawns. less than 1k sq ft.

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Exact Rototilling, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

My minimum is $35.80
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. jay_mc1

jay_mc1 LawnSite Member

How many sq ft does that price cover?
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

You guys are spot on! (route density)

Example: (3000 - 4000 s/f lawns)
    treat 5 lawns per hour
    charge an average of $39.00 per lawn
    material cost per lawn = $4.00
    total material cost = $20.00 per hour
    revenue per hour = $195
    net $175 per hour
    6 hours of this = $1170

The above numbers are merely examples.

I realize some app's take longer (like when you have to also spot spray), but it's nice to be able to treat 3 - 5 lawns per hour when possible.

Bottom line -- route densities (profit) vary from company to company.
  4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Up to 5k..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. bobbycat02

bobbycat02 LawnSite Member

Our min application fee. Is 45 plus product cost you have to figure time picking up material handling storage etc and clean up in my area they will be putting restrictions on amounts of nitrogen being put down all polls are having meetings comming very soon our local extension farm Bureau is already coming out with guidelines on nutrient levels and how to Handel a moratorium on applications one of there recommendations is soil testing which I'm in favor of because then you know exactly what each particular properties needs are I always push soil testing on new applications accounts but getting joe public to agree is difficult dont you know what my lawn needs just by looking at wait let me look at my crystal ball and I tell you what your lawn needs. So education is also part of our service as well so it hard to put a price on apps you have to know exactly what your cost are and what your local market will bear different parts of the country will have different economic pressures but no one can beat trugreen at 29.99 per application just push quality over price.we only apply who we mow so that can have a positive effect try that method it works for us very well here instead or running around applying every were with no control of how others mow or water thats a big problem so keep it small and simple:usflag:
  6. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing is buy in bulk! You save so much money not only on material cost but travel time and overall pita factor of worrying about picking it up.

We get all our fert and wc at three beginning of the year delivered 2 semi loads and we are good for the season.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

There is no way I can buy in bulk now. Might be able to have a pallet of my favorite fert delivered in May.

This cost factor of how cheap the Big Co. are compared to a smaller operator is a tough one to overcome.
    Posted via Mobile Device