1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

minimum string trimmer cc's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Jan 31, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

This may seem dumb, but I am wondering what the minimum cc's you guys will go for on a string trimmer. Bigger is always better, but what will reasonably get the job done. I'm not out to whack brush either, just trim grass. For example, I own a shindaiwa eb-630 and I can tell you never would I want something that is less than its 60 some cc engine. Let me know your opinions. BTW I wont be surprised if I start a big debate.
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

For commercial use about 25cc would be a minimum. The more power the better even if you only cutting grass and not doing any brush cutting. More power means faster cutting and less time on trimming.
  3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

If you are just trimming grass i would say go with a 24-31 cc engine. You don't need monster power to trim, blowing leaves is a totally different game. With trimmers being light and easily maneuverable is the way to go in my opinion.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I use a Robin nb2050, this unit has a 20cc engine and is very powerful for an engine that size. This trimmer weighs 8.5 pounds and is very light, and for every week trimming is fine and even has enough power to operate a blade check them out here
  5. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

its highly under estimated, but the echo 2100 (210 ) is an awesome little machine. i use it commercially and like the feel, weight, etc. i wouldn't cut a forest down, but everyday grass trimming it is ideal. especially once i switched my redmax head on to it.
    that would be 21cc... i bought mine at home depot in a jam for $199, cuz the other stores where closed. glad it happened.
  6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I agree, this is a good little trimmer for every week trimming. You won't want to cut overgrown ditches with it, but it will do it in a pinch.
  7. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a redmax BCZ2400S 23.6 cc plenty of power for commerical trimming... Also runs extremely smooth.
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I seriously doubt that your trimmer has a 60cc engine. That being said, anything less than 25cc, in my opinion, is a waste of time.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Same here...I bought 4 of them last year and plan on getting more of them for 05. Easy to start and rewind too.
  10. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

echo srm 2100, great little machine. You would be suprised, i have used it to cut down 3-4 ' tall brush and it did pretty good.