1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Minimum wage hike

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheKingNJ, Feb 12, 2005.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm starting to hear talk about Minimum wage being raised to $7.15/hr.
    What do you guys think of this and Will this effect anyone's business.
    Though it won't effect me because I pay around 9-14 an hour I can see many small business being effected by this. This is sounding to me like a slice of pizza for $1.25 is going up to $1.75 because now minimum wage employees will be getting another 2 bucks an hour. Will anyone be using this as a reason to raise rates?
  2. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

You may not think it affects you but it will.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No, I already pay more than double that rate an hour right now...
  4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I doubt they will get it through the current administration so wouldn't worry about it.
  5. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Minimum wage will only affect the lowest paid in the poorest areas or in areas with high unemployment.

Areas of high unemployment actually will see higher unemployment.

The minimum wage is a totally inept form of market intervention; it basically prevents employers from hiring gimps -n- 'tards at $4 an hour because they have no other options.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, you are one class act :rolleyes:
  7. Turf Medic

For those of you that have employees working for $5 to $10 over minimun wage and think that your employees won't expect to maintain that gap after a minimum wage increase are going to be in for a real suprise. In the past everytime the minimum wage has increased, our employees expected a similar raise, and if I was hourly I would expect the same.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the things that concerns me is the since all fast food places pay about minimum, the price of all there food is going to rise dramatically.
  9. Turf Medic

yep, prices will go up, and service/speed will go down
  10. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

You currently pay lawn care employees more than $15.00/hour? You would make a hell of a splash here in Texas! Come on down! I might even go to work for you. :D