Minimum wage question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mowmasteruk, Nov 27, 2005.

1. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

As a visitor to Lawnsite from Great Britain, can someone tell me what is the legal minimum wage in the U.S.? Here it's £5.05 per hour, that's around $8.80.
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Federal is $5.25 . Local may vary from state to state.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it's $5 something in jersey. but, amazingly, it was over $8 an hr in california
  4. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

here in mass minimum is 6.75...i think its the same for new hampshire but i'm not entirely sure
  5. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

Can ask why you want to know, and does anyone out there pay just minimum wage? I am going to have to hire an employee for the first time. I think I am going to hire my cousin, kind of nervous about that. I am going to pay him $10.00/hour. Start time is going to be when we leave my house, quite time when we return.
  6. In NY it's $6/ hour, but will go up to $7 in January.
  7. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

I am just interested to see how our minimum wage compares with yours; the average rates for mowing seem to be just a little more than we charge in Britain and it seems as if your statutory minimum wage is rather less than here. Given that your petrol [gas] prices are way below ours (because our government adds 67% tax to the actual prices) it is likely that your profit margins are greater.
    We don't pay the minimum wage, my company's mowing crews get £5.60 per hour (that's about $9.80) and skilled gardeners with a minimum qualification are paid £6.02 (about $10.53). We have trouble getting good people at these rates.
    We are in a highly competitive market here and my company's profit margins are as low as 5%.