1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Minneapolis - Irrigation Tech or Irrigation Mgr

Discussion in 'Employment' started by dutchhook, Mar 30, 2007.

1. dutchhook

dutchhook LawnSite Member

Irrigation tech or manager for very successful commercial grounds maintenance/irrigation/landscape outfit in western suburbs.
    Qualified applicant must have a minimum of 3+ years in irrigation and be able to repair and install commercial irrigation systems.
    Previous experience managing people is a plus as this can start as a management position for the right individual. Year round salary plus bonuses.
    Call Steve at 763-213-2410
  2. northland 1

northland 1 LawnSite Member

can you give a ball park as to what a salary position is for a irrigation crew leader in the Minneapolis area.
    I have 6 years experience with commerical and residential installation and service. I'm getting my (CLIA) in April.
    Just looking for what the market value is
  3. dutchhook

Good timing on the question. We just had a day long seminar on irrigation.
    Average wage is $17.40 for an irrigation tech with a lot of experience.
    You have to keep in mind the 5 winter months too. Are you going to keep him on during the winter? Salary?

Steve Hoogenakker
  4. northland 1

northland 1 LawnSite Member

yes because we also have many plow accounts, that he would be in charge of as well.
    in you mind for i just said what do you think a good number is?
  5. dutchhook

I think you can hire an experienced tech for $12 to $14 per hour the way the economy is. If I were you, I'd run a job posting on Craigslist. don't offer up the wages!
    When they call, they will certainly ask about pay/benefits. I'd respond with what were you making at your last job? what would you like to make this year?
    I literally view how much I pay my employees as a point of pride and a goal. It sounds backwards, but if I can pay more and still make money, I'll have happier employees, customers, and will have other employees knocking on my door wanting to work for me. So I don't care if it costs me $20 per hour for the right guy.
    Irrigation is all about the three "TIMES"
    Window time
    Down time
    Over time
    You don't get paid extra for any of the "times", but you'll be paying for them. If your guy is so good, he will help control the "times" with himself or other employees, you could probably pay more.
    hope this helps, contact me if you need more,

Steve Hoogenakker