Minnesota Department of Ag call

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmoney, Apr 20, 2005.

1. dmoney

dmoney LawnSite Member

Today I received a call from the MDA. He left it on my voice mail. He just wanted to say he saw an ad I had placed in the local paper here and to inform me that I needed to be licensed to apply weed control. He wanted me to call him back and let him know where I was on that. I was mad. He, to me, was basically implying that I didn't have a license. I did call him back and left him a nice message letting him know I did indeed have one and was insured. Thanks I just needed to vent a little

2. mommacutz

mommacutz LawnSite Member

That had to feel good! He was very wrong for assuming.

3. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Be glad that they are checking. It makes your license worthwhile.

4. Sure somebody aint phone pranking you ?

5. dmoney

dmoney LawnSite Member

nope no pranks I got his MDA voicemail when I called back

6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

It's good that they are checking...but why the hell didn't he check the MDA records before calling and accusing you of not being licensed? Sounds to me like it's probably a new guy that has a quota of calling "X" number of applicators per day and rattling their cage to see if they can catch someone in the act. IMO they will lose credibility if they keep that up.

Buck

7. dmoney

dmoney LawnSite Member

that's the one thing I was wondering. My business name was in the ad. It wouldn't have taken too much to look it up

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Welllll.............here's my guess...............Another LCO who thinks there should be NO competition (lowballing scrub wannabe kids trying to take THEIR work away :rolleyes: )probably started that ball rolling...............BUT, maybe I'm wrong.............I hope so..............

I'm just having some fun here.............. :waving:

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e had a call like that here a number of years ago. I'm glad I was all legal already! I think it an easy place for them to start, anyone advertising fertilizing or weed control of any kind get a call if they are new to the system. This has to be easier than the other method of driving around town in circles looking for anyone with a spreader or a spray tank!

Since I was already licensed he was still wanting to come out and see my rig and records to make sure I was doing everything correctly. At the time magnetic signage was not allowed but that's all I had so I was wrote up for it... My records were OK, actually He said I had too much info on them, but more is better than not enough. Since I have changed theinvoices a few times and I got vinal lettering a year or so later. As soon as I got the vinal letering they changed the freaking law and made magnetics OK here. Oh well... I like my new signage much better anyway.

10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like the MDA would just have to look at the records to see if you have a license or not.They would not have to talk to you or see your physical shop to see if you are legit, paper work is the only thing that matters.