Minnesota early birds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hiway, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Hiway

Hiway LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone in MN has started or starting spring cleanups yet. I hope to be starting this week.:weightlifter:

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not when the ground temps are at 30 degrees... everything is still frozen.

I talked to the mulch people though, they're getting deliveries Monday. Might have to give that a start here pretty soon... not much else going on.

3. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Near Rochester we started last week, but this cold weather crap has everything on hold. Now is a good time to focus on new clients and their needs! We also are getting mulch deliveries sometime next week or the begining of the next! Good luck to everyone this year!!!!:drinkup:

4. BPLS1993

BPLS1993 LawnSite Member

thought about getting started this week, but just saw the forcast today for snow next week....yeah i dont think so

5. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

My plan was to start this week, but now they are talking snow and cold weather again. I can remember the last 2 or 3 years being well into cleanups by tax day, not this year i guess.

6. dutchhook

dutchhook LawnSite Member

One is a large maintenance outfit, the other smaller.
    As a matter of fact, one of them was replacing arbs and shrubs (pots) last week too. I wouldn't be doing them, UNLESS, you're on the edge of renewing a client and you think doing the cleanup (or at least a partial), might cement the contract, but even that is iffy...I'll pass this on for information only, I don't recommend it:
    Unfortunately, it worked for a chemical company I worked for. When a cancel came in, they would call the job out to the lawn tech and have them do the lawn that day. They ended up writing a few refunds, but saved a lot of customers that way.
    There is also at least one chemical residential sprayer out there too!

Steve
    Steve@Landscape.Pro
    http://www.Landscape.Pro

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes, last Tuesday, in the rain / snow, I was in Bloomington and saw a company that advertises on the radio out cleaning / trimming bushes.

Sorry, I don't care how good your account is, I'm not cleaning it up in the rain when it's 30 degrees out. You're just asking for workers to become ill.

8. moe sizlack

moe sizlack LawnSite Member

brainerd area, 5- 10 inches snow by tom. nite. gotta love it.

9. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw at least 10 companies out yesterday, I guess I don't see anything wrong with it. Its dry enough to suck leafs.

10. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Am I the only one passing out flyers?:waving: