Minnesota lawn install- need help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by I am Me, Dec 31, 2003.

1. I am Me

I am Me LawnSite Member
    from D/FW

Hey Y'all,

My Step father lives in Minneapolis, and is looking for advice on a new install. This is not my region, so I am asking you guys for some help. He will do it himself.

His yard is 800 sq feet and he overplanted some type of shade loving grass after the snow mold took out his original lawn.

What I would like to know is:

Should he round up and airate? is that neccesary?

He wants blue grass. What type of seed (brand)
    How many pounds of seed
    What ratio of starter fert, and how many pounds does he need.

Thanks for the help. Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

First get a soil test to determine what exactly is needed to grow a good lawn in your area.
    But what is wrong with the grass now? Is it dead, patchy or what?
    But go with the test first and foremost

3. edrenckh

edrenckh LawnSite Member

For 800 Ft, I would go with sod. Get a soil test at the U of M.

Magnuson will have good sod, reasonable price if you pick it up. Make sure you have lots of sun, or plan on trimming trees.

4. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

A soil test is first 2.is why did he plant shade tolerent seed is the yard totally shaded. 3.is he sure snow mold is the problem and not some type of pest or if the lawn is totally shaded there could be competition with tree roots4. remove exsisting lawn with a sod cutter spray roundup wait a few days after doing this 5.follow soil test requirements 6. I would incorporate 1 or 2" of compost into exsisting soil 7.use a good quality grass mixwith very low to no weed seed if the lawn is not fully shaded use a blue grass p.rye fescue mix 30# should cover well and have left over for later spot seeding if needed. Make sure he understands that seeding in the spring could be a problem with weeds actively growing and can easily take over the turf so once again he needs to spray with round up before seeding. GOOD LUCK

5. I am Me

I am Me LawnSite Member
    from D/FW

Thanks for the reply's.

He planted shade tolerant grass by mistake. Now as soon as it gets hot and takes direct sun is turns brown and goes dormant.

Workaholic- is there a particular brand that you have had success with on the seed?

6. workaholic

Yes in my area I use pennstate seed its expensive close to $3.OO a # BUT WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT. You said he planted shade tolerant by mistake and it bruned out from direct sunlight. During summer time weather all grass is subject to melting out from heat and lack of water so I would suggest if he is going to redo his turf this up coming year and he has drought conditions to make sure he waters at least once or twice a week and mow properly and it should be fine...

7. MN Wildwood

MN Wildwood LawnSite Member

I am Me-

Some of the homes in Minneapolis have old tall trees which block much of the sun, if this is the case for your stepfather it may be the reason grass has a harder time establishing. Even Dense shade seed needs a minimum of sunlight, often times 4 hours/day. If trees are not the problem a dense shade seed will have absolutly no trouble in full sun, the only difference between sun & shade grass seed are the % mixtures of bluegrass, rye, fescue, etc. Some do better than others with less sun, all do well in full sun. Does the yard have irrigation? or is it watered frequently? We have had less than average rainfall in the past years here. What is the current state of the yard (excluding that there is snow on it currently) Is 1/4 of it dead or 3/4 dead, etc. That would help determine whether to seed or sod. To resod, excluding prep time you could be looking at ~250 rolls of sod, around $500.00 total. I would suggest, without seeing the property to seed, have your step father call a Lesco dealer around the cities, there are 4 or 5. They could set him up with seed, (recommend premium athletic mix, a very good quality seed, deep color, it is a mix; I think about 75%bluegrass). A starter fertilizer and they also rent renevators (slit seeders). Hope that helps, sorry for the length. - MN WILDWOOD

8. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

Here in Rhode Island, eight hundred square feet of sod, farm pick up, would run about $200.
    I'd scalp the old lawn, apply four or five pounds of starter, twenty pounds of lime, aggressively rake it in and install. Might take a little over half a day by myself.
    Water daily for a week or two and start enjoying my "instant lawn".

Dave

9. workaholic

20# of lime how do you know if you need lime with out doing a soil test first and 20# IS WAY TO MUCH FOR 800 SQ. FT. AND 4 OR 5 # OF STARTER FERT IS NOT ENOUGH DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHY LIME IS APPLIED TO LAWNS.

10. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I am me, before you do anything, I would address the watering question. We had a pretty rough august, no rain for a good month, anyone who didnt rain, went dormant. I second contacting lesco, good seed. Round up, and tilling is the usual prep for a new install. If your doing patches could get by with just the slit seeder. Where abouts in minneapolis does he live?