1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Minnesota/Wisconsin sick of the snow yet?

Discussion in 'Network: Central' started by skorum03, Mar 17, 2013.

1. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Who's in the area and just flat out pissed at how much snow is still on the ground? Even if it gets warm next week, we're still two weeks from seeing the bare ground. I have some stuff lined up to get started on, but my phone hasn't wrung with anything lawn or landscape in months. Anyone else dealing with the same things?

Thanks

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

2. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

We won't be on the lawns until the 3rd week of april I would say. Way to much snow pack and that will keep the temps down. Its way more than 2 weeks til bare ground my friend. Last few years we have been spoiled with little snow in march.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. skorum03

Well I was being optimistic with the 2 weeks... Too much stuff around here that I need to get done. But yeah you're right about the past few years with little to no snow in March.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

4. skorum03

Well, after that 5 inches of snow yesterday, I think we have about 16 inches on the ground here right now. And it feels like its Mid January out there with this wind. Unreal. Hopefully that was the end of the plowing season.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

5. Element Property Mgmt

Element Property Mgmt LawnSite Member

i just dont like the fact that if i have customers calling me asking for me to come do an estimate on thier property for mulching/spring cleanups i can't and i cant get a bid locked in.

6. skorum03

Yeah there's that and the fact that when there is so much snow on the ground. Who is thinking about their yard when there is that much snow? No one. My phone hasn't wrung in months.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

7. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

Hate to say it but the slow melting is great for the turf, especially after last seasons drought.

Do not panic about the phone ringing, it will happen soon enough.

We are actually right on schedule, despite the colder than normal temps. Our actual start up date is around tax deadline day.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. skorum03

Yeah I know the ground needs the water. But yeah I'm sure the phone will start to ring soon enough and then we'll all have plenty to do. I'm actually not minding the slow warm up at all.

YardBros Outdoors
    www.yardbros.com

9. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

We were out trimming some shrubs thurs/fri. Aborviteas and elf maple things. Equipment almost ready to go. Mon all the snow stuff will be washed/oiled/put in storage. Any summer stuff will be pulled out also.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. cbservicesllc

cbservicesllc LawnSite Member

I sent out an email blast to all my customers yesterday on all my Spring specials. Phone rang off the hook today with people wanting lawn contracts finalized. I think almost 50 degrees and sunny helped.