Minor mower problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheC-Master, Oct 3, 2010.

1. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

So my exmark will run at full blast, and then the engine will slow down for a bit and have little power, once you stop it, it goes to full blast. It's probably something simple. While it is under warranty I like to find out things and fix them myself, and also save the time of the dealer.

Any suggestions? The air filter and spark plugs are new.

2. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

Water in the fuel bowl ??

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

it could be very well water in fuel bowl. drain fuel bowl and change fuel filter

_bowl_drain.JPG

4. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

coil? what make and model engine do you have?

5. TheC-Master

Kawasaki 15hp, I'd have to give you the number. I'll check the fuel bowl first.

6. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

I assumed it was a twin cylinder. Only one coil on that engine. Yes drain the float bowl into a glass container and inspect the contents. water will be heavier than fuel, and they will not mix.

7. TheC-Master

Cool, that is likely it. I guess it happens over time. I'll replace the filter tomorrow with it.

8. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

Guys no thread jack simple question. How do I identify my Kawasaki 15hp engine? I know it is a FH430V but partstree.com is asking me is it an AS01 all the way through JS51. So I know its FH430V but the second set of numbers there are 60 possibilities. Manual, actual engine shroud, nothing says and I'm unsure. I've found the AS01 is the early model with the box air filter on the front, and I'm somewhere in the 30's. How do I know exactly which one I have.

To the Original Poster, It most definitely is a fuel issue. When something like this happens with me I just go ahead and replace all fuel related parts. Some good time to learn and preventitive maintenance. OP go to partstree.com put in your engine model and you can get every single little part for that mower for fairly cheap. This way you don't have to leave it at the dealer for a week before they decide to even look at it. There may be some kind of buildup in the carb that it's just trying to blow through also.

9. TheC-Master

Exactly why I tried to identify it myself. I like to learn these basic things and do them myself, a week is too long as my company is year round busy.

10. Southern Pride

Southern Pride LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Memphis

That's the way to do it. The better you become at the Mechanic game on these small engines, you will be leaps and bounds over the competition, and able to get your investments back to the lawn doing what they are designed to do. Try to involve yourself in any small problem threads like this so you will know what's wrong when it is your turn to invest back into that engine. If you would, please let us know what the final problem was too!

Griffin