Minor Setback

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawns by Steve, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

Well, I finally saved enough money for my trailer. I bought a 5 x 10 with fold down ramp from an individual and on the way home from picking the trailer up, I was broad sided from some low life #*&! who ran a red light.:hammerhead: The ass ripped the trailer off my truck, twisted my hitch all up. The real neat thing about it is the dumba$$ does't have insurance and I had not covered the trailer yet. So I am going to have to start the season working out of the back of my truck:cry: I'm just worried I will look like the kid from down the street wanting to cut grass. Just wanted to vent a little since the wife thinks it's no big deal. I have a huge pride issue I like to look as professional as I can, since I am new to this industry I need all the help I can get.:dizzy:

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

erm, you did call the police at the time of the collision, right?

Because it's up to them to determine fault and to file a report, which determines liability... If per chance you live in a state where insurance is required (such as va), then the uninsured motorist may be breaking the law, and if at fault is still liable, too. And, if the police were not called, there's no telling whose fault it is.

Either way, if damages are in excess of $500, the police need to be called, it's the law. I would do it just to make sure I got paid, even if they have insurance, because unfortunately it's never anybody's fault, if you get my drift, the police can usually clear up these misunderstandings.

I ain't with that plan of 'oh well he didnt have insurance that just sux so now I gotta do whatever,' even if you never get paid, I'd still hold the guilty party liable.

Now if the police were called and it was the other drivers' fault and it was the police who said you would not get paid, then I'd see about contacting an attorney.

3. Lawns by Steve

Now if the police were called and it was the other drivers' fault and it was the police who said you would not get paid, then I'd see about contacting an attorney.[/QUOTE]

The Police were called, the other party was at fault. I would have to take them to small claims court to get my money, which could take a while. So I will still be without a trailer starting this season.

4. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I can't belive what I am hearing. Five years ago I bought my first trailer, a 6 x 12'. I had the trailer 2 days when I was coming home from trying out my mowers when some Stupid B**** came left of center and sideswiped my truck and trailer. She totaled my trailer, and did almost $7,000 in damages to my truck. When she hit the trailer it tore the ball off the receiver!! Like a dumb a** I also didn't add it to insurance either. Very long story short, I was cited and had to go and buy a new trailer. The case was just closed last fall, she was trying to sue for mental anguish, and medical. Good luck with whatever you do. Andrew

5. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

Don't forget, sometimes your home owners insurance covers things you don't normally think about. I would still call my insurance!

6. cl&l c.c. Tx

cl&l c.c. Tx LawnSite Member

My insurance covers anything attached or mounted to the vehicle. If you have full coverage on your truck then I'm pretty sure the trailer would be covered too.

7. Lawns by Steve

My insurance will cover what I paid for the trailer, I only paid 400 for this trailer it took me 3 months to find such a good deal. It will all work out in the end.

8. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Same with my insurance, for a short peirod of time after I pick up the trailer I do not need it listed to have it covered however I do need to list it with them eventually. This is with commercial insurance however, im sure personal insurance may not cover it.

Cheers
    Jeff

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If you need a trailer badly and dont have the cash for it, why not just open up a credit card and put ONLY the trailer on there? Thats an easy way to get yourself a new trailer and a few hundred bucks shouldnt take that long to pay it off and you'll prolly get no interest for a year.

10. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

sorry to hear about your bad luck dude, i know working out of the back of your pick-up isn't fun, but you won't lose alot of work because of it and you'll get a trailer again in no time.
    Good Luck