Minor setup problems with my new Metro HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by swa240z, Jul 1, 2002.

1. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

I picked up a new Metro HP 48 this weekend and I'm having a couple of minor setup problems.

Problem 1: I can't seem to get the deck level from side to side. I have adjusted the two rear deck support links to the proper length (6.89" as specified in the operator's manual) and checked the air in the tires, but one side is is a good 3/8" higher than the other. Also, the deck would rock from side to side after making the proper length adjustments on the rear support links. I have had to add washers to three of the four corners to level out the deck and prevent it from rocking from side to side. It is almost as if the deck support frame is bent or tweaked in some way. BTW, the rake (after the washers seems fine - about 3/16")

Problem 2: The right side brake is VERY grabby. I can't make a right turn without locking it up. I have readjusted both sides - the left side is perfect, but the right continues to grab. The only way I can get it to stop grabbing is to loosen it up to the point that the brake barely works. When in neutral and pulling backwards, the right side locks up (the rod with the wing nut actually raises above the stop for the wingnut. Makes it very difficult to manuever in neutral. Will the grabbing go away with use?

I haven't tried the dealer yet (they are 50 miles away) - was hoping it was something you guys could talk me through. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve:

Thanks for the post. First, I'll address the brake problem. If the brake is grabbing, it may be hanging up somewhere. If the rod actually rises above the stop for the wingnut and sticks, I'm almost positive that it is hanging up. When the drive levers are in the drive position, you should be able to go to the rod with the wingnut on it and move it up and down freely with your finger. You shouldn't be able to move it more than 1" or 1 1/2". This distance may be less if you have the wingnut turned down farther on the rod. Also, remove the hairpin cotter from the right hand brake linkage. The RH weldment arm should fall into the drive belt. If it doesn't move at all, the pivot bushing may be hanging up.

Another good way to try to see what is going on is to jack the rear end up and take the right-hand wheel off try to rotate the wheel hub backwards while the drive levers are in neutral. Watch what is going on and see if you can tell what is going on. To be honest, you really shouldn't have to do any of this. This is especially true since the mower is new. Regardless, the grabbing issue will probably not "go away." See if you can tell what is going on. If you can't determine what is causing the problem based on the information I gave you, we need to get this mower to the Dealer.

Your next question was regarding the deck. Get the mower on as flat of concrete as you have. Check the tire pressure and make sure that the pressure in the rear tires is equal. Now jack the rear of the unit up (Make sure that the mower cannot roll, of course!). Now measure the circumference of each of the rear tires. If one is different than the other, you will have to adjust the air pressure in the tire to compensate for the difference in circumference. I guess I would also check the circumference of the front tires. There isn't a whole lot you can do if the circumference of these tires are off, except replace them. This should help to give you a "level" cut, but it probably will not help to take the side-to-side movement. Here is the problem. If the deck without any washers in it is level, you should just be able to take the side to side movement out of it by adjusting the rear deck pins. If, however, after adjusting the rear deck pins to take out the side-to-side movement you notice that the deck is no longer level, we may have another problem. If you determine that this is the case, I would take it to the dealer and have them inspect the deck support frame. In the meantime, what you have done with the washers won't hurt anything. You could take it in to the Dealer at your convenience. If you have any questions regarding the terminology I used, just look in your Parts Manual, create another post, or e-mail me at dustin.schwab@exmark.com. Keep me up to date with what you find. If something isn't right, I want to make sure it is.

Here to help,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. swa240z

swa240z LawnSite Member

Dustin -

Thanks for the response. I unhooked the brake control rods on each side and attempted to move the brake levers by hand. Both levers stick in the "on" position. Is this normal? If not, is it time to take the mower in for service or is there something that can be lubed or adjusted? Since the dealer is 50 miles away, i'm more than willing to do as much of the diagnostics/repair as possible.

I haven't had much time to check on the deck height issue. I know that the tires have the same pressure (14 psi) and that the mower tracks straight. The bottom of each rim is exactly the same height from the floor. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the actual blade height is exactly 1/2" higher than the label on the deck indicates. The pin is in the 4th hole from the top (label indicates 3" but actual blade height is 3.5"). I have the deck leveled with the proper rake, but it required one 1/8" thick washer on three of the four corners (deck support rods) to prevent the deck from rocking from side to side. I'll check the diameter of the front caster wheels to see if that is causing the problem. I'll also do some measurements of the distance between the floor and the deck support frame to see if there is anything unusual going on. Do you have any measurements that I could use for comparison?

Thanks again.

Steve

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Steve:

I wonder if someone failed to grease the weldment arms that the wheel drive idler pulleys attach to. Do me a favor and grease the zerks on the right-hand and left-hand side weldment arms. After you grease them, move the drive levers into drive, neutral, and park. Do this a few times and see if the drive levers continue to stick.

Also, after you take the cotter pin out of the brake control rod, I'm concerned about the bracket that the control rod is attached to. All you can really see is the top tab of the bracket sticking up over the drive belt. Is this moving freely? If it is, the problem probably resides in the weldment arms.

You mentioned that the actual height of the blade is 1/2" higher than the decal indicates. I don't know if the decal is indicating the height of the deck or the height of the blade. If it is indicating the height of the deck, that 3" would be correct because the blade should be slightly higher than the lip of the deck. It's a safety thing.

When you go to measure your tires (front and rear), don't measure the diameter or distance from the "bottom of the rim" to the floor. We need to be as accurate as possible. Measure the circumference (i.e. - the distance around) of the tire.

It's a good idea to check the frame. The best way to measure it would be to drop the deck, but if you can keep from doing this, I would encourage you to do so. I don't want you to have to take all of the belts off the deck. I don't have any measurements handy that you could use, but I could probably get some if you really wanted them. I don't now why you have the rocking from side-to-side, and that's going to be hard to diagnose without seeing the machine since the problem could be one of several things. If you've got the deck correctly set, I would concentrate on getting the sticking brake unstuck. We'll probably have to get this mower back to your dealer to have them look at the deck and see what's going on there. Do some checks/greasing/measurements over the weekend, and we'll keep working on this.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support