1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

minority-owned business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by llama, Mar 15, 2003.

1. llama

llama LawnSite Member

Does anyone here have their business in their wife's name so that it will be a minority-owned business?
  2. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Wife is a hispanic female... not sure if that make any difference but thought we would give it a try... mostly govermental bids
  3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

not sure why I stated female???

Maybe for the alternative life style people on this site?:) :D :)
  4. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

L.L.L.M. is owned by Patty, my wife.

She is an herbalist and natural healer. She is majority owner, not because of minority programs but because it's her baby.

I am her husband and now the CEO of L.L.L.M. I am a licensed arborist, a master gardener and a designer (more then twenty years now). Design is what my formal education is in.

I was born a farmer, Patty was born a rich daughter of a Detroit politician. I bought a Harley and showed her how the "other" people live. We married and she lost out on her families money. Big bummer at first. That was a long time ago though.

She studied under an Ojibwa, I studied under my grandfather. One thing led to another and now we make green stuff by making stuff green.

Being a women and owning a business will not help you that I have seen unless you are trying for a government loan. We have a government contract from a local city, but not because of a minority status.

My advice to you is DO NOT put your business in your wifes name unless you want her to own the business. In other words, she will own it, you will not. Legally you do all the work and she walks away with all the goods. Bad idea unless you know it's for life.

It has worked for Patty and I because we have worked at it. I am surprised at how easy some people can make owning a business seem. Kind of like " buy a truck and go to work". Whatever.

Is it your business or hers? That is my final answer.

joel bixel L.L.L.M.
  5. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

we went to a small business seminar and we were told that if the business is owned by a woman and you use that to try and get gov. contracts, the woman in question had better know her stuff. the people in charge of hiring for the gov. are very keen on this type of situation, and are well prepared to make sure the 10 to 15% of jobs alotted for the minority biz actually go to people they are meant for. they will question and go as far as test her to make sure she knows what she is doing. i'm sure this one has been tried time and time again. i myself would opt for the honest route and try for the job based on my skill, not affirmative action. you could very easily doom yourself from the world of gov. contracts if that is what your going for.
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Isn't America wonderful? The land where you can you legally discriminate against people based on their ethic origin or gender, regardless of it being written in black ink that it's unconstitutional to do so.
  7. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

several years ago a local contractor (non-minority) successfully sued for losing a bid to a minority firm. His bid was the lowest, but I suppose the powers that be needed to look good by hiring a minority firm. This was a huge highway job..........
  8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I saw this on the news. It was a guardrail contract and was rewarded to a mexican american.

It's a damn shame that people would even try to use this to their advantage.
  9. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Just an observation my wife made the other day.
    The only non-minority left in this country is the white male. Every one else is a minority of one kind or another.:confused: :( If this is wrong kindly tell me how,and how the heck did that happen?:dizzy:
  10. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Lets stay PC here. The only people you can legally discriminate is the white male, and in some cases, the american indian. It is perfectly legal to discrimnate against this group in awarding contracts, hiring, college admission, etc. Additionally, you can label, laugh at, call names, and, if they are from the south, it's perfectly ok to make them the foil of jokes on national tv. What's so great about it is that if they object, they get ostracized. The same rules apply to the american indian, but keep it lite here.