Minutes count !

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Dec 1, 2004.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

O.K. Hears one I haven't seen yet. Do we move an excessive amount of objects off the lawn each week, or cut around ?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

since most people dont use their lawns (and kitchens) anymore, very little has to be moved and very few dishes have to be washed!

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

run them over

4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely move anything unless its a kids toy or something. I mow around it and try to persaude the customer to either lay a foundation down for something they want to keep in the lawn permantly or remove it. Such as water hose racks, chairs, flower pots, or trampolines.
    The last thing you want to do when its 90-100 degrees, is stop and move stuff around so you can mow.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if it is excessive amounts, just mow around them

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

we used to have a client where the crew would spend 45 minutes picking up toys. I spoke to the homeowner and said that we would have to charge for this and she said that she didn't have time to pick up after her kids. We would bill her $90 per week toy pickup and $110 per week cutting.

7. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

As Booby Almighty would say: "Surcharge Them". Charge them per object, and also charge them for the time to count each and every object. Don't forget the time that it took you to run to the truck and write it down on a piece of paper. Also, the time it took you that night to run outside and retrieve the paper from the truck. If this landscaping business thing is going to run like a union, like Booby is planning, let's get it straight and let's get it started in the great state of New Jersey. No better place on this earth than New Jersey! AND, if the customer doesn't like the fact that youare billing them a surcharge...just drop them!! BUT, not until after you have taken them to court over the bill. Don't like the court thing? Just call Booby, and he will chase them with a shovel !!! Ya gotta love it.

8. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

If it's toys or anything that should be cleaned up, we pick them up and put them next to the back door or anywhere where the customer should get the hint to keep the yard cleaned up before we come. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. Picnic tables or other Permanent objects we do whatever it takes to make the lawn look nice. If I notice them when I bid a job I add what I call an "inconvenience fee" so I'm covered for the extra time spent. I don't tell the customer this. If they agree to the price, fine and If not oh well. If these objects appear during the season, we deal with it and I will appropriately increase the price the following season.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

jim daily is a smart fella

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

When I do get customers like that, they don't last long. I get rid of them. It pisses me off and I'm not the maid.