1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mirco spray / drip in "dog" yard

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ferti-man, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

I am debating on drippers vs. micro sprays for a plant plot in the back yard of a "doggy" yard. Each has good and bad. I think either way I go, the dog will chew the stake, or dig up the tubing and destroy it. Any ideas that have worked is appreciated.
    Area covers small flower / non flowering plants (perennial) and other areas around perimeter of house w/ shrubs / roses.
    Besides removing teeth from dogs, have you got any suggestions that have worked for you?
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Hot chicks with a hose. :laugh:

For what its worth, stakes are easier to replace than tubing.
  3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Built in emitters
    Easy to repair
    Bury it or cover with mulch
  4. Brass nozzles. Our cure all for dog damage.
  5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't know why I've never thought of it, but I bet that works well for pesky squirrels and roof rats that like to gnaw on heads and plastic valves too.
  6. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

get rid of the dog or ad a dog run and split the yard with the dog
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Drip it, only run at night or when dog is not outside. Typically, I have found, that they are going after the sound of the flowing water etc... Take away the sound, nothing to hunt for.
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I have three homes that need drip repair due to dogs tearing up during winter, when water is off. So it's not always due to the sound. Dogs get bored.
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Stay away from the micros if you're worried about the dogs. If there is any landscape fabric, try getting the pipe underneath it. Stake the pipe down more than usual to prevent it from rising to the top eventually through any mulch or rock if there is any. I have three homes set up to repair drip due to dogs, two of them have microsprays, and the other doesn't. So they will probably get into it either way.
  10. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so the brass nozzle is out because it is on a drip zone w/ no pop ups. Otherwise nice idea. So it seems that drip is a go and they will have to deal with repairs as they come up. Stakes are good, but I think they attract the dog for something to chew on. At least a drip tub under mulch has a chance, though a small one.