Misc. jobs including cleanup hedge trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by syzer, Mar 11, 2001.

1. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

When you guys go to give an estimate on this kind of work, say just a good spring clean up. What do you do? Do you look at how long its going to take you to hedge bushes put a price on that, remove leaves put a price on that, reshape beds put a price on that?

Or do you go out and say this job will take up 4 hours and we want $xx.xx per man hour. We have two guys here one @ $xx.xx and one @ $xx.xx and this is what we are charging? If you guys go by this method what do you aim to get per hour on a job? I struggle with this concept and am new so either way is a little tricky for me to estimate.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

That's the method I use, $35 per man hour & I try to usually estimate an hour or two over. If it takes less time people are always thrilled to hear their bill will be less.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i use the same method that kirby does, i figgure the time i think it will take me and give them that price. it it takes me longer then i suffer because i bidded wrong. if i over bid on the job then depending on how much i will add something extra.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

A combination of both. I asses the needs of the property and then figure how long each service will take. Once I have a figure I add a 30% time factor to it, and then submit a price based on the estimated number of hours needed.

And yes we will pro-rate a bill if we are there for less time than was originally specified. Just make sure that you are covered. If you get into a situation where you think its looking around that 5.5 to 6 hr mark bid it for 7 possibly even 8 depending on how extensive the labor will be.

Good Luck this season!
    Kris

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I know my flat rate per hour & rate for going to the dump if needed ....fiqure the time add the dump run ...add any extra I may need ...like they need it done tommarrow or can I schedule it in with my other work

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

I charge an hourly for these things.Be careful though as they may want an the same hourly rate for mowing which is done I do at a set rate .

7. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I charge by the hour too. I know approximately how long it should take and then figure a little bit additional to cover errors in the calculations. I like the idea of pro rating the bills if customers start to give you looks. That may help to calm them down a bit, sort of a comfort feeling.