1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by flakebortch, May 5, 2008.

1. flakebortch

flakebortch LawnSite Member

I gave my first 2 quotes this week.
    The first property was kind of remote so I jacked up the price about $15 more than I thought it should be. It turns out that someone else 1/4 mile down the road wants work done too. So the first lawn is now gravey.
    Today I quoted another guy to mow 2/3 acre, but later on I realized it was 1.5 acres. When I paced it off, I counted each step as 1 foot instead of 3 feet. It turns out that I quoted too much for 2/3 of an acre,so I'm getting just enough for 1.5 acres. Hunh? What a moron. My stupidity giveth, and it taketh away.:hammerhead:
  2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pro tip. Buy a measuring wheel. I made the same mistakes measuring for a sod install and had to eat an extra half pallet because i came up short. Accurate measuring is one of those little things that helps make sure every litle bit of profit comes to you.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  3. PizzaMan008

PizzaMan008 LawnSite Member

What do you use as a base price for 1/2 acre, 3/4 acre and so on? Stupid question, but I'm just diving into the biz...thanks in advance Tim
  4. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

And here i read the thread title thinking you misspelled mosquitos
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The first one thats $15 off I would keep it at the $15 extra...what happens if the second account drops you and you have adjusted your price due to having these two accounts close together? I would adjust the price on the second account to make up for your mistake.
  6. flakebortch

What could I possibly tell a guy from Louisiana about mosquitos? :laugh:
  7. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

You might see if your county assessor's office is online, that should give you the lot size. I use it here.
  8. flakebortch

It's unlikely that I would ever go down in price, ever. She didn't blink when I gave her the quote. Maybe I should have asked for more:hammerhead:.Also, the second guy wants beds tilled and mulch as well as lawn care, so it will be worth my while to go out there for that.
  9. flakebortch

Score one for James! That's an awsome idea! Never thought about that. Thanks man! Now if you could just go back in time and tell me yesterday...
    Crap! That reminds me that I have Zillow saved in my favorites for this. I must be severly ********.
  10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

It won't include the terrace if one is there for utilities, you might want to actually call the assessor's office and check if it's a property with a bunch of frontage or a corner lot. Outside of that you know it's gnat's ass accurate, the Gov't is going to make sure they get theirs. As far as going back in time, maybe I already did and prevented you from making a bigger mistake today?