Missed calls!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Awilkinson, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Awilkinson

Awilkinson LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

O.K. guys-
    Here is a question-

This past week by looking at the caller I.d. I have missed 23 calls who have not left a message.

the season is heating up, and I really can not afford a secretary or to sit by the phone.

Do you guys call back numbers on the caller I.D. in an attempt to gain the business or do you wait for them to call back?????

I would really hate to miss this much work, but I really do not want to offend them by calling back when they did not leave a message.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Thanks!

2. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

call them back! many people have caller id and know how it works and will be glad you called. They need someone to cut their lawn. They want to get this issue solved today. Chances are they called a few other places and got answering machines too. You Can be the first one to show up and bid.

3. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

My cell phone # is on my answering machine, so people can either leave a message on the machine or reach me on my cell. I think some people will disagree with this setup but it has worked very well for me so far.

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have the exact same thing TLJC

5. djsmokin

djsmokin LawnSite Member

Thought about an answering service? Some folks will not leave a message on a machine, but they will leave one with a person.

I had one several years ago in another type of business and I am sure it paid for itself.

Check your Yellow Pages, it might not cost very much.

6. RidgeCon

RidgeCon LawnSite Member

I agree with DJ, we use an answering service at the beginnning of the season before we are fully underway or I forward my office phone to my cell if I am going to be available to answer it. That way when they call they don't really know if that person if working in your office or not ( if a good answering service). All helps for image as well. you don't need to be in your office but someone is answering your calls..

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Do a search as this was just covered last week. I would suggest either getting an answering service, getting a secretary or forwarding your calls to your cell phone when you are out of the office. When missing calls you are missing business.

Gravely_Man

8. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

as Gravely said

""forwarding your calls to your cell phone when you are out of the office""

most phone plans already have call forwarding... for us up here in CT ... just dial 72# and then your cell phone.... answer the cell phone and away you go... you then can decied to answer the phone or not ... just in case you get a lot of telemarketers phone calls on the line.....

Plus the customer does not really know that your not in the office

Pete

9. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I only give out my cell number. If I miss a call while working, I can call them back almost immediately. There is seldom anyone at home to answer the phone and I'm solo. I have gotten calls to look at lawns while Im out working. If I'm in the area, I'll drop in and give them a quote. If I'm not in the area, I'll make arrangements to look at it when I'm finished for the day. I don't want to wait till I get home at the end of the day to check messages. I'm afraid if I don't get back to them quick, they may call the next guy.