1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Missing Gas Tank Bolt

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BFI, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BFI

BFI LawnSite Member
    from Cana VA

Briggs & Stratton Yard Machine 3.75 HP 20" Cut
    Model No. 11B-022B062

Hello, I was cutting my grass yesterday and when I went to fill up I noticed the gas tank was wobbling all over the place, upon further inspection I noticed that the Bolt that holds the Gas tank to the side of the mower is missing in action.

Ive searched every Inch of the yard but to no avail, Is there any chance anyone knows what size Bolt it is so I can buy a new one? Its the one that goes through the tank bracket, then through a flimsy piece of metal and into the right side of the mower, I imagine its probably about 2.5" long but other than that Im stuck.

Thanks in advance.
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The number you gave, Model No. 11B-022B062, is a MTD number for the whole machine. For a replacement you will need the engine number off the engine.
  3. BFI

BFI LawnSite Member
    from Cana VA

Im sorry, heres the engine info...

Model: 98902
    Type: 1607B1
    Code: 00091351
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First thing to do is pull the other bolt out CAREFULLY (do NOT lose it!),
    leave the tank sitting as securely as possible then run to
    Lowe's or Home Depot with it and see if you can match one up,
    that is the cheapest way and how I deal with that crap :p

Probably cost you all of 25 cents that way, if they have one, I say fairly good chance.
    Unless it's a special bolt, they don't carry too many of those.

Now if they don't got it you might have to special order it, but I'd check with hardware stores first, maybe also Ace.
    Been through this many a times, now they don't always have the stupid spring or bolt or whatever that I need but
    I have saved many a headache and more than a few dollars this way.
  5. BFI

BFI LawnSite Member
    from Cana VA

Yeah thats the easy way but.....

There is only one bolt for it, well there is one other but its more of a screw and only holds the front end of the tank to the casing. Im guessing the missing bolt is about 8mm width, the parts list for the 98000 model says its 1 3/4" long but that seems too short, the thread is the only major problem, im gonna grab a bunch of scrap bolts tomorrow but i would much prefer an exact measurement if anyone knows of one, Ill try calling customer support too. guessing threads is near impossible.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Does this help?

Briggs web site says the MSRP is $1.50

tank bolt-1.jpg
  7. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure it's 1/2 AF. It won't be Metric thread, 'cos it's made in the good ol' USA where people still use sensible numbers :usflag: .. About 1 3/4 long should do okay. If it's too long you'll damage the crankcase. Long enough to allow 5-6 threads into the crankcase. If you buy one that's too long you can always cut it down.
    Good luck Phil
  8. BFI

BFI LawnSite Member
    from Cana VA

Thanks very much :)
  9. BFI

BFI LawnSite Member
    from Cana VA

Just to let ya know I found a replacement bolt knocking about, I had to cut a 1/2 inch off it but it fits perfect, what are the chances for the first bolt I tried :)

Thanks again.
  10. echoman8

echoman8 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey BFI, something had to make those bolts come out. Do you have a lot of vibration on the handle?