Missing single blades of grass.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TheChiefsLawnCare, Jul 4, 2008.

1. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I have a Toro Heavy Duty 21 inch. And when your doing a pass you notice that the previous pass has single blades that arent cut. Keep in mind that im using a brand new blade. What could be going wrong and what could I do to fix this issue.

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Slow down. You are moving too fast. When the grass is really turned on like it is right now and growing faster than we can cut it, it is almost impossible for the mower to keep up with the amount of canopy inside the deck for the short time that it is in there.

I have found that if I slow down a bit that I have less of that happening because it allows a good majority of the clipping to go out and the vacuum to pick up the stragglers that couldn't make it with the rest of the grass.

Just my take on it....

3. TheChiefsLawnCare

OOO, theres no way im going any slower than 2. I couldnt do 1 and make good time.

4. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

It is really a toss of the coin for this situation. Most people will not notice the single blade of grass, just you and other LCOs'.

I choose to go slower but I also do several other things to each lawn that take a ton of time to get all of the debris to disappear so it doesn't look like I was on the lawn. I side discharge but it just take a little extra time to make things go away.

It probably is something you can live with and will get better as each application of N wears slowly wears off before the fert/squirt guy comes and hits it again.

I cringe when I see the sign of one company. They are still using Ammonia Nitrate and it is really KILLING me!!!! These lawns are a foot tall in a week and I am cutting at 4".

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

ooo haha, yeah, its just that i know its not supposd 2 be like that. and i know that i dont like leaving it with a blade of grass uncut, but then again, im not gonna be double cutting each yard, or goin back over it with the trimmer. that will jus waste my time and my day.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You don't say what you are doing with the clippings. Are you bagging? Are you mulching? Are you discharging?

If you are mulching, then the rough cut is perhaps the best the mower can do. I do not mulch clippings, this being one of the primary reasons -- cut is not smooth, and some stragglers are left.

7. bill w

bill w LawnSite Member
    from Va.

Sometimes even brand new blades are not as sharp as they need to be. Build-up of clippings under the deck can cause this problem also.

8. TheChiefsLawnCare

ooo, i see. this is when i am mulching. i dosent really do it that i have noticed when i am bagging.

9. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Sharpen the blades, even if they are brand new.
    2. Set the back end of the mower about 1/2 inch higher than the front.
    3. Check to see what RPM your mower is running. If it can take it, consider upping the running speed of your mower, thus giving you a faster blade speed.

My Toro Recycler homeowner unit really only has this problem now if the blades get dull. Before it was doing it constantly. A customer's neighbor that does small engine work let me know the tip about the RPM. Hooked up a gauge that measures RPM and looked at me funny like I was insane for running it so slow. Bumped it up for me right then and there and MAN it cuts good now.

Good luck.