1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mission impossible; make HRC 216 mulch!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Sep 29, 2004.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I've done it. My HRC216 now mulches as good as Toro 21 recycler with Suzuki 5.5. Not only that but its faster because of the stronger motor and deeper deck.

I'll pull a Bobby Gedd now, for a $100 I'll tell you how. Takes two hours and fifteen\twenty dollars in parts.
  2. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Will a please and a thank-you get me any info? Have a great day.
  3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be interested in learning how you did that as well. Even if I could get our Hondas to mulch without leaving anything behind, we'd still only be able to do it for maybe 4 months out of the year. But I'd be interested in trying it out anyway. Tell us how.
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been able to mulchmow almost not at all. We've had six inches of rain this month, four last month, and July was no drought either. Nice to get some use out of that mulch kit I bought for the exmark...aaaaaaack.
  5. dishboy

from zone 6

Test day two. This set up works great, much easier to mow backwards in real small sections as it cuts just as clean backwards and the Honda freewheels backwards better than the Toro . The deck stays much cleaner than the Toro on lush/wet grass and it stands the grass up and cuts cleaner [ less stragglers] as this set up gets away with using the stock Honda high lift blade. And the bonus is I don't have to listen to that underpowered
    2-stroke kicking the governer on constantly.
    The Toro does and always will, leave less wheel tracks due to it's skinnier tires and lighter weight, nothing beasts its cut on bentgrass.
  6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

OK, Ill send you a check, now give up the info please.
  7. dishboy

from zone 6

Jim, have you tried adding the snapper lift kit to a Honda blade for rain work?
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The last thing you want cutting wet is Lift...Packs the Deck...

How about something to drop 30lbs off the HRX ?
  9. dishboy

from zone 6

Spend a few years bagging wet grass in Oregon with a Honda and HIGH lift added and then tell me about it. It packs the bag and keeps the deck much cleaner. Plus you can't touch the cut with a low lift blade.

For mulching with a Exmark TTHP I would agree but on the Honda the stock blade [HIGH LIFT] goes way farther before it packs than the Toro with low lift.

Tall handle bar, balanced machine, hydraulics,and a drive system that actually freewheels in reverse is just as easy as the Toro unless your a girly guy.

Each machine has it's place but if I had to choose only one and production is key I vote my Honda set up for versatility and speed in all conditions. Throw in cost of operation and durability and it's a shut out.
  10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I would be quite interested in getting my 216 to mulch better. I use the stock kit and then go back and blow any excess grass. I could save some time not having to blow the excess grass but will your invention void the waranty work?