1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mission Statement

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by JeffG, Oct 27, 2002.

1. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

I am starting a lawn care business early 2003, and amongst many other things, my Laywer has asked me to produce a 'Mission Statement' for my new Company.
    Does anyone have information on this, maybe samples to copy/edit?:dizzy:
  2. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

I think a mission statement is something that rather than working off of someone else's... it's something that is best created on your own. It is uniquely your own and should reflect the focus and mission of your company. Why is it that you are in business? What are you trying to accomplish? As the owner of the company - this question is answered only by you. A cookie cutter mission statement or one that is co-opted from another may not serve to direct you in the same way that a creative and unique, personal statement will.

There are questions to ask yourself when thinking about your mission. Below are a couple... I'm sure there are more.

1) Why are you in business?
    2) What business are you in? What do you produce?
    3) Who are your customers? What do they mean to you?
    4) What are your growth/profit/business goals?
    5) Consider social responsibility.
    6) Consider vendors in your business plan/equation - are they an essential part of your mission?
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

7) What do you have to offer over your competitors? Why should your customers choose you over your competitors?

I think it should be relitively short (1-3 sentences at most). What do you have to offer i.e. service, quality, and dependability etc....

Lawnlad is correct, you should not copy or edit anothers mission statement. Your mission statement should come from the soul of the business......dig deep!!

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree totally with walker-talker and LawnLad. Only I really don't see why your lawyer insists./wants you to have on?

Heck, I was at Hertz Corporation for 14 years and we never had one. And they're a multi-billion dollar company owned by another multi-billion dollar company...Ford!

Having a Mission Satement is a great idea (don't get me wrong). But that is all it is...a STATEMENT...not a Business Plan. The two are completely different.
  5. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

jerry mcquire wrote a mission statement
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

His was a bit lengthy.......wasn't it something like 130 pages?

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes mission statements go thru several re-writes over the first few years of being utilized, however it should become the backbone of your business. I would guess that your advisor is demanding some due diligence on your part so that you begin thinking like a businessman instead of just going out and starting to cut grass, and hoping the business part will follow later.

Kudo's to your lawyer for trying to nudge you in the right direction. Not many lawyers are that smart. Sounds like this chap actually wants to help you instead of just doing the work and sending you a fat bill.
  8. JeffG

JeffG LawnSite Member

Thanks to all you guy's coming back on the Mission Statement topic. I certainly am learning by being part this great www site. I shall take your advice and come up with my own Statement - and keep it short!
    By the way, how do rate the Wells Cargo enclosed trailers? I've been in touch with the Waycross, GA branch, and looking to by an 18 footer.