Mitsubishi 4cyl. power

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Qualey, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

The local Mitsubishi Fuso dealer has been trying to get us to buy from them for over a year now. I own 3 Dodge Cummins, 2 Powerstrokes, 2 Cats, and one Duramax. I find it hard to believe that a 145 hp 4 cylinder is going to perform in a similar manner as the 6 and 8 cylinders do and offer any fuel economy. Am I missing something? One trailer is 13-14k, the other is 8k.

Anybody have good luck with these trucks?

Matt

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

There's many guys around me running the Mitsu and Isuzu/GMC deisels. Same trucks year after year. Never noticed any down time with them either.

I have 2 GMC W4500's Gas

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you would be disappointed with the power and the mileage. Below is a picture of my Mitsubishi-Fuso.

Advantages: Great manueverability, replaces a pickup plus an 18' trailer, good image, can trust the employees to drive it before I trust them to tow. Comfortable, drives like a car.
    Great around town. Very peppy around town.
    Perfect for customers with tight properties.
    Great for toting sod, etc.
    Fits in many parking spots.
    Ice cold A/C
    Good offroad versus pulling a trailer.
    Rock solid reliable engine. Never missed a beat.

Disadvantages: No power on the highway. I mean no power. Top speed is about 68 mph. No passing power. 0-60 is measured with a calendar. Any uphill at all and top speed is 45-50 mph. No joke, its a road turtle. Semi trucks eat you for breakfast on the highway, they just cruise right past you even if you are floored. Rear axle is 5.73:1. These are city trucks.
    Cab is cramped with more than 2 people. 3 is absolute max.
    Poor automatic trans, replaced mine 3 times in 40K miles.
    Don't get the Aisin-warner auto get the Allison.

Fuel economy is 10-11 mpg diesel city or highway, loaded or unloaded.

I bought mine mainly because I work out of my house and it fits in my driveway.

I am seriously considering the Chevy c4500 crew cab duramax as my next truck.

If you must get the Fuso get the 175 HP four cyl. It is rated at 347 lb-ft torque versus only 275 lb.-ft. for the 145 HP motor.

Don't plan on towing heavy loads often- the Fuso can barely get out of its own way unloaded.

Ken

myoffice.jpg

4. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

Thank you Ken

Thats about what I figured. A couple of concrete companies we sub with are running the 4500 crew cab and love them. I haven't been all that impressed with our 4500 (its for sale actually). It has great visibility and good power, but it just isn't big enough (weight wise).

Matt

5. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

How much to get a dove tail and tailgate made for a cabover ?
    Thanks Steve

6. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I am pretty sure the Isuzu NPR with the auto trans gets you the 175 hp diesel vs. the 145hp version with the 5 spd manual trans. You can also get an NPR and NPR HD with the GM 350 V8 and the GM Hydramatic 4L80-E auto trans. I am willing to bet that the 4 cyl diesel will net you better mileage. We have a 1 ton Chevy G-30 box truck with a 350 and 4L80-E at my full-time job and it usually gets 8-8.5 mpg in the city and about 11-12 mpg on the highway. I'm glad that I don't pay the fuel bill for that beast!:dizzy:

7. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Anybody no how much for a dovetail and flatbed setup for a cabover truck costs?

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If you shop around and are willing to travel you can find a good use one cheap.

9. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Where would you shop around for one?

Steve, Balto. Md.

10. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member