mitsubishi fuso

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnboy82, Jul 18, 2001.

1. hey guys, i hear so many of us talking about the chevy 3500 HD or the ford F550 or whatever it may be. however over in my area a very popular truck is the mitsubishi fuso. personally i dont like it because of the low GVW and the lack of power. however i was just wondering how many of you guys own em? and what you use it for?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You might want to post this at plowsite.com over on the truck side also.

3. all i can say is you need deep pockets

the parts for these trucks are 2 to 3 times the cost what they are for the big three

but most of them will give you about 14 to 16 mpg

4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

There's a company in my area (not landscape) that's going under and selling a 2000 Mits/fuso diesel 4x4, 5 speed with 12 ft bed. This truck is nice and I see more and more of them in this area, mostly GMC and Isuzu.
    It has 11,000 miles and the owner says it will take a plow. He paid 33,000 for and wants 23,000 to pay off his note. It sounds like a great deal and if I had any balls I'd scoop it. Does anyone plow with these, I do a ton of driveways.

5. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

That model is called the Mitsubishi Canter over here. They are
    a very strong and capable truck. Good torquey motors.
    Not quite in the raped ape category but they move along pretty
    well.Remember it's not just hp. that counts you also need a good
    torque figure. Canter has 4.2 litre 4cyl diesel.

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Lawnboy, you hit the nail on the head. Throw a few shrubs in the thing and you're over the GVW. It's be fine if all you hauled was brush.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

You can get them anywhere from 11,500 lb gvw up to 21,000+. Whats the problem?

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I Bought a new Fuso FE639-HD.

The manueverability is impressive. It has an exhuast brake that reduces the use of wheel brakes.

The GVW is 13,500. I carry two zero turn Gravely 260z mowers plus a 54" JD walk behind. Total weight=1300/each zero turn=2600, plus 700 walk behind, total 3100 lbs+hand tools. Well under gross.

Anti-lock brakes work perfectly.

Problem area: The rear axle ratio is 5.73:1, so going down the highway is tedious. Best kept in town. Four cyl has good torque but is weak on horses.

Look also at a truck called Bering, and at Ford E-450 cut-away vans.

KB

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

1990 Mitsubishi Canter FE444 13500lb GVM. I can fit the Walker and a Dingo loader and still have room to spare. 3.3 litre direct
    injection diesel @ 100hp. 5 speed syncro,diff ratio 6.166.
    Cruises on 60mph an full GVW.

pic00022.jpg

10. Jerryjks

Jerryjks LawnSite Member

Bought new 92 Mitsi 4X4 with 9' fisher plow, A/C, 2' back-pack tool box and 10' dump. Paid $33,000. back in '92. Truck now has 100,000+ miles, with very few problems. Really like it for plowing. Does have some drawbacks...11,600 GVW (truck weighs 9,200), Takes bumps hard and top speed of around 65-70. Good fuel mileage, loaded or unloaded, around 14 mpg. Really shines in low speed situations where you need alot of power. Pulls our Finn T90 II hydro-seeder in off road conditions with no problems.