Mix/Match System??

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by KrayzKajun, Mar 7, 2013.

1. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

New customer, system is approx 10yrs old. 12 zones. All zones are working from a controller & valve standpoint. issue is 8 out of 12 zones have broken heads, one zone has a cracked lateral and almost all the rotor heads are leaning(one was watering a light pole lol). some of the spray heads are broken. i call this a mix match system because some of the rotors are Orbit brand and some are rainbird.
    now here is my question. for ease of maitenance and replacement/repair should i just go ahead and convince the customer to change out all the rotors to rainbird?

i stock a good bit of rainbird sprays/rotors and parts in my trailer due to a large system i maintain at a school. im going back out monday to replace the damaged heads and fix the lateral thats broken. i fgure it would only add another hour or two to switch out the other rotors in the yard.

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Install whatever brand you stock. Less inventory increases profits.

3. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

how you are able to accomplish this?

4. KrayzKajun

I dont understand what you are asking.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

me either.

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Explain to the customer that it would be advantageous to have a single brand of sprinkler for maintenance, and cheaper to change them all at the same time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. KrayzKajun

Thanks Jim.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Audit the system (and that doesn't mean just a catch can audit either), go from there. I find if the system is cobbled together, typically the only acceptable fix IMO is replacing all the sprinklers and fixing any design issues while you are at it.

9. KrayzKajun

Im going out monday and just fixing the broken heads so the system can run while they are out of town for the next few weeks. When they get back they want to go ahead and do a full system revamp.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

why don't you get the system at least functional first and then throw out your suggestions for upgrading / renovating.