Mix tank qustion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbailey52, Apr 5, 2006.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I once saw a 5 gallon tank for mix fuel. It was taller then wide, and didnt look like regular gas tanks. It has a rubber hose with a spigot on the end. So the tank stayed on the trailer and you just used the hose and opened and closed it to fill the 2 cycle machines... anyone know about it or know where to get it?

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I made a similar setup on one of my old trailers and it worked quite well. Go to the Auto Parts store and buy a universal elec fuel pump, a toggle switch, some rubber fuel hose, some primary wire and the cheapest battery you can find. Then go to Home Depot in the garden dept and buy a metal nozzle for a spray wand. Take it all home and assemble it and you've got yourself an electric fuel pump fill-r-upper. The battery, once charged, will last a couple of months before needing charged again.

3. jbailey52

hm... this didnt have any motors or anything.. the hose was at the bottom of the container, and when opened the fuel just came out.. gravity feed.

4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know...all I can say is that I REALLY really like the reular 2 1/2 gal. cans for 2 stroke equip.. Just too easy to handle and too easy to use.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto that. I'm using the Blitz cans. I like cans that are wide, and not tall. They don't tip over like the tall cans do. I had several of these that had a Briggs label on them, can't find them anymore and I needed new cans. I bought the Blitz cans because they weren't as tippy as the others I found. Of course, everything is ventless now, pita. I use the 2 1/2 for 2 cycle equip, 5 for the big stuff. For easy use, put a gallon in and mark a line on the outside, you'll know hot to mix when not at a gas station.

7. jbailey52

I do the same now, Just dont like actually moving the can around, spilling etc.. this one the container was bungeed inside the trailer rack and all you had to use was the fuel hose and turn on the nozzle at the end..... you didnt even have to move the tank to refill it.. its much easier.. cleaner.. less of a hassle then 2 1/2 gal tanks

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 5 gal mixed fuel can for my LawnBoy. That fuel is poured through a funnel into the tank on the mower. But, for the 2 cycle equipment, I use two 2.5 gal cans (Wedco) with a No-Spill nozzle. Those nozzles used to be available as a part, but now I think they are only available as part of the can. In other words, one cannot buy the nozzle itself, one has to buy can + nozzle. The nozzle has saved much spillage and works well. The screw mechanism to afix to the can is weak, however. It broke soon after being put into use, but still works without leaking.

9. jbailey52

I dont know if everyone is getting my idea.. I mean I know its not hard to pour gas from a traditional tank into whatever your filling up... just using the thing I am talking about it so easy and not a pain in the ass