1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

mixed diesel and gasoline

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by vntgrcr, Dec 7, 2005.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure if this is the right forum, but there are more guys here with diesel equip. I just realized that I mixed about 4 gal. of diesel with approx. 2 gallons of gasoline in a fuel can that I am supposed to use in my Kubota excavator. What can I do or expect? I can't believe I did this, luckily it is still in the jug and not in the machine.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Well Lucky it is still in the can. Don't know a whole lot about engines, but I do have a couple of experiences to share with you. 1st: My family is in a different biz (they do burial vaults and dig graves) and one of the employees put diesel in a gas tractor. I could not get it started and black smoke came out of it. Needless to say we had to get a mechanic in. 2nd: I accidentally put gas in one of my diesel vehicles. Got maybe 2 miles down the road noticed the power dying. Finally it just stopped. Again, had to get a mechanic. To total different grades of petroleum. I don't know if that helps or not.
  3. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

I know some guys will mix up to a gallon of gas with 50 gallons of diesel in cold weather to prevent the diesel from gelling up but I wouldn't use the mix you have.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

4 gallons of diesel to 2 gallons of gas is enough gas to make your kubota ping.

Dump it.

If its a real small ratio (40 gallons of diesal, 1 gallon of gas) you would be fine.
  5. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Your local fire department should know the answer to how to dispose of the gasoline. Definitely do not dump it. It takes something like one drop of gasoline to pollute 500 gallons of water. You might want to call an auto service department to ask if they, or where they dispose of their hazardous chemicals. But, definitely don't dump it! As professionals, we should act as such.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't implying to literally dump it.
  7. vntgrcr

I didn't plan on "dumping" it literally. I will hold it until we have a hazardous waste day at a local landfill or I hear of another place. Thanks for the info guys.
  8. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Just making sure. No offense.
  9. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

I am not an expert by any means but i think i would add the fuel to either a gas or diesel about a gal. to a tank full till its used up . that small amount shouldnt hurt any thing & would save throwing it away .
  10. vntgrcr

I guess that it would be safer to mix it in a gasoline powered something, a little at a time. Unfortunately I don't have much gas powered equip left, maybe slap some in the wife's Yukon!