mixed emotions, commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsfrk, Aug 18, 2004.

1. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Is it pretty difficult getting commercial accounts your first year in business. I mean they would obviously pay you less because of you being a smaller company. But wouldnt' be an advantage if I have the experience and could do just as good as a job as a larger company. I mean, I have the experience and they could pay me less because of less overhead. Is this realistic?

Another thing is, you would need to do at least 50 lawns a week to make any kind of living.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My first 4 lawns 16 years ago were commercial accounts.

I do 38 lawns a week and make 6 figures. Where do you get that "50" number?

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you will be a commercial accounts dream bidder! you admit you can do it cheaper and better! now the reality,,,,,can you?

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

jsfrk, this is my first year and all I do is commercial. (acually have one residential). As far as pricing them, they will pay you what you quote them, providing your pricing is in the market. You just have to present yourself in a manner that shows them you know what you are doing, if you do that I don't think they'll shy away from you just because it's your first year. And I wouldn't slash my prices because I've got less overheard & being a smaller company. Actually I'd tend to charge more because I make sure all the detail work gets done and giving more personal attention then a larger company with many workers who just want to get home for day.

IMO, I think you can get by on less accounts doing commercial then residential.

Buck

5. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

what is a good price for a normal size apartment complex?

what is a good price for an office campus?

what is a good price for a small doctor's office?

6. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

what are they, 1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, 1 acre, 2 acres? How much trimming? Edging included?

Also pricing could be different from one state to another. Can be different from city to city for that matter, depends on your competition and market.

Buck

7. jsfrk

jsfrk LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

2 acres for the apartment complex

3 acres for a church

1/4 for doctor's offices

1 acre for office campus.

8. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Too many variables. You have to be able to look at the property and see how long it will take you to perform all the necessary tasks, then multiply that by what you need to make per hour to pay all your expenses...that is...ALL your expenses. Then, you can put in a well thought out bid.

9. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Why would you do it cheaper? To ge the business.....and undercut bigger established LCO's. Get a clue!!! Most commercial accounts aren't going to let a rookie with noncommercial equipment mow there properties. Do you have equipment, insurance, workers, trucks, a budget, licenses??

10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

I really cant believe what I'm reading. You have got no idea what you're doing and you're not even asking how to get an idea!

Well lets see.....A normal apartment complex.....No such thing......Anything over 50 units no way you can handle it period. Any complex that would even entertain letting you bid much less maintain the property is either trying to beat up their current contractor, have been turned down by experienced contractors or are known slow or non-payers. So good luck with those.

Small doctors office........you must be kidding........compare those to a residential account with a parking lot.

Best for last........office "campus" and a 1 acre "campus" at that. I've got several "campus" sites that are over 15 acres and two over 30. And you think you can compete with a company who has the equipment, labor force and most importantly knowledge on how to maintain the office "campus"
    Stick to mowing your Aunts lawn for awhile learn a little about fertilization, weed identification and control. I almost forgot irrigation, the "campus" will most likely be irrigated.
    One other thing LwnmwrMan22 lay off the cow pies. No way do you bring home 6 figures with 38 accounts unless you're robbing banks on your lunch. Plus you're in Minn what 25 cuts? Let me guess you make up the difference in snow? You Internet millionaires crack me up.