1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mixed gas.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mottster, Oct 26, 2003.

1. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

What ratio of gas to oil do you all use? It seems like more and more equipment these days are going from 32:1 to 50:1. I run 32:1 but i think its too rich for my redmax trimmer. But my homelite hand-held blower says run 32:1. Rich is better then lean, isn't it? guess i could go in between somewhere like 40:1 but i don't wanna damage anything. Thoughts? Opinions?
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

I run 50:1 in everything even the old homelite and it seems to run fine. I use synthetics though so the oil brand and type does make a big differance. The homelite is the only thing that recamends 32:1 and if you run to rich with the oil it will clog up carbs and muflers and ports so it could mean more maintenance. I don't think 50:1 will hurt your homelite if you use the better oils.
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

check your manuals! i surprised myself one day. i was reading through my shin. trimmer and shin. hedge clipper manuals and discovered that one uses 40:1 and the other 50:1 and they use the same engine!
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I run 50:1 in all the small stuff. And yes, rich is better than lean. Not enough oil in the mix and your equipment quits...plain and simple.

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I run 50:1 in everything, but the only thing that I have that does not call for it is my Shin EB240 and it 40:1. I have had no problems w/it. I also agree w/Rod that a little rich is better than lean.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Have an old Lawnboy that requests 32:1, and an old (early 80's) Poulan Chainsaw that requests 16:1.

They've been getting 50:1 for over 10 years, and the last 4years everything has been getting AMSOIL Synthetic at 80:1.

No more muffler or plug cloggs, and power is great. No noticable wear that I'm aware of.
  7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

mottster, why is it that you think you have a choice of oil/gas mix ratio to use? If you want the best performance and longest life out of 2-cycle equipment, go with what the mfg says to use.
  8. I agree with TLS. It's the OIL manufacturer that sets the ratio. Not the engine Manufacturer.

I run all 85/1 Amsoil synthetic in Stihl equipment.

If you go getting generous with the synthetic oil you might as well buy the cheap stuff. Then deal with the carbon build up, fouled plugs etc.

9. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Running 100 to 1 in shiny stuff.

I use optio-max. (with fule stabilizer)

I've seen REAL OLD 2 cycle equipment opened right up thats used Optio-max for the full life and NO wear lines on pistons and Blocks.................ONLY original machining lines.

But I mix at 100 to 1..........Yes thats right 100 to 1.
    Thats what the MFG of Optio-Max recomends. ALL my 2 cycle equip runs spot on and WILL continue to run that way.

YES...........Depends what sota lube you running...............They kn ow whats good for ya machine!
    The MFG is ALWAYS going to recomend thier Lube at their mix though.

Use what your stuff runs well on!...................Could take a while.

Its all trial and error.

Buy in SMAll amounts and when it's time to make up a new mix (with a different MFG lube to see whats the best), make sure you run the pice of equip till empty.
    Then you'll know what the go is with how your equip runs with different lubes and mixes.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Same as Pinnacle but I use Amsoil synthetic. That engine does not know the difference between 100:1 synthetic or 32:1 petrol. Synthetic at 100:1 or 80:1 if you are a bit squeamish is adequate to lubricate any 2 cycle engine.
    I have used it for 8 years and I have never had a 2 cycle engine failure. It is in all string trimmers, Lawn boy trim mower and the backpack blowers.
    You will find less smoke, less carbon build up, more power and responsiveness. It is very simple to mix and I will never use a manufacturers petrol 2 cycle oil again. Give it a try, you will like it.